what kind of strings do you guys use?

i've been using ernie ball regulars for a while now and i love them, so smooth and they sound really good to me, recently though i bought some DR strings, thought i'd tried something new, but the DR strings are terrible, it says they were handmade so i figure they were better, but they sound really bad, i took a long time to break them in, and they still sound almost metallic, and they're so treble-y i hate them, and they're really difficult to play for some reason too, i think i'm going to stick with the ernie balls from now on, but does anyone else have suggestions on some new strings

Before you tell me its a matter of preference, i already told you my preference, i'm just looking to see what else is out there, i like the way ernie balls sound, so that should give you an idea of what i'm looking for, but i'm open to anything

ooo, also i just got a new Schecter Stilletio Custom 5, i found it at a pawn shop in Tennessee a few weeks ago for $350 with a Road Runner bag, and i couldn't pass it up, it was almost brand new, it sounds AMAZING, except for those DR strings, i need to wait until i get some money to buy some new ones

here's a picture, if you haven't seen it but I'll post some of mine soon

Personally, I love DR strings...but to each his own. I've heard amazing things about Elixairs
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
im a strict ernie ball guy, even on my trem guitars, ive never broken a string while playing
holy crap
i hate you
Thats the bass i want whenever i get one haha
I love the neck, it's so small for a 5 string and plays so well...what else would you expect from a schecter eh? lol
but yeah, I've never used ernie ball's...I have used DR though, and i liked 'em...though the first batch i had, the D string unraveled (not broke, unraveled) on me...but the second batch was good.
Im using elixers now...don't really like them so I'll try some ernie's now
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
you can try elixars, but i'm a ernie ball man myself
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
holy crap
i hate you
Thats the bass i want whenever i get one haha
I love the neck, it's so small for a 5 string and plays so well...what else would you expect from a schecter eh? lol
but yeah, I've never used ernie ball's...I have used DR though, and i liked 'em...though the first batch i had, the D string unraveled (not broke, unraveled) on me...but the second batch was good.
Im using elixers now...don't really like them so I'll try some ernie's now

did you crimp them? because the DR packaging said if you just stick it past the tuner and wrap it around (like if you don't have a wire cutter and just leave it hanging off the edge) then they unravel, i forgot the reason, when i find my package i'll explain it better

but oh yeah the bass is amazing, the strings are closer together, thats why the neck is so small, but i love that it makes it so much easier to play

i might try these elixirs
one bad thing i noticed about the elixirs is that they don't sell 5 strings, just 4, where you have to but the fifth, and that makes them expensive as hell, i might check it out though
i've only broken a string once with DR's [and that was my high e, forgot to crimp it]

i use DR's on my electrics, acoustics, and bass
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Quote by Fast_Bear
Oh god I hate Ernie balls! They go dead in a matter of weeks....

I love my rotosounds! But I am looking for some flatwounds! I got an old hollow body bass that would sound awesome with just that kinda thump!

that's the one thing i dislike, which i forgot to say is one of my reasons for looking for new strings, i love the way they feel and sound, but they go did in less than a month every time, and with strings at least 20-25 bucks a set, its not fun changing strings every month
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I'm still playing with the strings that came with my bass.

thats what most people do that are good

try ernie ball hybrids, there fun
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
n00b question - whats the difference between flatwound and roundwound sound wise?

btw im mostly an ernie ball guy
Last edited by its irrelevant at Aug 28, 2007,
Quote by Zar938
did you crimp them? because the DR packaging said if you just stick it past the tuner and wrap it around (like if you don't have a wire cutter and just leave it hanging off the edge) then they unravel, i forgot the reason, when i find my package i'll explain it better

but oh yeah the bass is amazing, the strings are closer together, thats why the neck is so small, but i love that it makes it so much easier to play

i might try these elixirs

uuuhhh...yyyeaah i forgot to...lol
i didn't with the rest though, and they were fine...thats the weird thing.

but man, were you lucky to get that for $350 haha I'd kill for that price

I'd kill 3 people and a monkey for a $300 price tag...

EDIT: forgot to talk about the elixers
yeah they're pretty good (on guitar anyways) they come all smooth and stuff, like you put string cleaner on. And they stay like that for a day or 2, then it wears off. I dunno, after like a month i didn't like them anymore...but i still have 'em haha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
uuuhhh...yyyeaah i forgot to...lol
i didn't with the rest though, and they were fine...thats the weird thing.

but man, were you lucky to get that for $350 haha I'd kill for that price

I'd kill 3 people and a monkey for a $300 price tag...

spare the monkies!
Quote by its irrelevant
n00b question - whats the difference between flatwound and roundwound sound wise?

btw im mostly an ernie ball guy

Flatwound sound - thumpy, bassy, less sustain. Usually used on fretless, where they preserve the fingerboard and give a "mwaaah" sound, but also used on fretless for their punch. Pick and flatwound = Money by Pink Floyd.

Roundwound = probably what you know, bright, longer sustain, more "attack" in the sound.

I use Ernie Ball Hybrids when I can.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I like Ernie Ball Strings, but somebody have me some GHS (er, whatever the hell the brand is) something-or-others and they were ok.
YEAH! Schecter, SAME BASS I WANT(but in red)

but anyway i like the GHS Bass Boomer strings but i dont have a 5'er yet so im not sure how good they are for those
I use DR lowriders because thats the only kind the music store by me carrys and does any one know what strings have a low dark bassy sound to them
Quote by MetalBass345
YEAH! Schecter, SAME BASS I WANT(but in red)

but anyway i like the GHS Bass Boomer strings but i dont have a 5'er yet so im not sure how good they are for those

hell yea man, its amazing
D'Addario Chromes.
Quote by Angels Fighter
we once had night of just slapping each others ass. Is that incest?

call me evan.

bass militia's pretentious dick. pm dinkydaisy.

the trap i set for you seems to've caught my leg instead.

<meh> I'm pro black penis in my bum
Quote by Fast_Bear
Oh god I hate Ernie balls! They go dead in a matter of weeks....

They go out faster if you try to clean them with sanitizer clothes.

I learned the hard way
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
well my favorite strings are elixers but you said you hate trebbly sound and elixers are moreso than DRs in that departmant. IMO elixers is the Perfect sound it's sound is very unique. as in no other strings sound like then and i like what they sound like almost bell like smooth and clear tone but with focused bass underneath. (for me anyways)

my 2nd favorite is DR low riders they are a close 2nd to elixers but they sound distinctive in themselves they dont sound like "another bass string" they sound like low riders! wich is why i like them (cant afford to get elixers evry time now)

my 3rd favorite is Dean MArkley Blue Steels but i am going to try ernie balls next with i think i will like better than blue steels. they sound like decent bass strings and they are cheap and last a good while so i put them on my Sqir P because i hardly play it anymore so im not going to put high$$ strings on it.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Zar938
what kind of strings do you guys use?

i've been using ernie ball regulars for a while now and i love them, so smooth and they sound really good to me, recently though i bought some DR strings, thought i'd tried something new, but the DR strings are terrible, it says they were handmade so i figure they were better, but they sound really bad, i took a long time to break them in, and they still sound almost metallic, and they're so treble-y i hate them, and they're really difficult to play for some reason too, i think i'm going to stick with the ernie balls from now on, but does anyone else have suggestions on some new strings

Before you tell me its a matter of preference, i already told you my preference, i'm just looking to see what else is out there, i like the way ernie balls sound, so that should give you an idea of what i'm looking for, but i'm open to anything

ooo, also i just got a new Schecter Stilletio Custom 5, i found it at a pawn shop in Tennessee a few weeks ago for $350 with a Road Runner bag, and i couldn't pass it up, it was almost brand new, it sounds AMAZING, except for those DR strings, i need to wait until i get some money to buy some new ones

here's a picture, if you haven't seen it but I'll post some of mine soon

i have that bass and in combination with my Ashdown amp rig I'd say Ernie Ball strings give a really good snappy sound to it, get for a lot of alt rock, rock, funk...stuff like that. They also keep a lot of the low end on the bass one the lower strings, which sounds great. Schecters do come with Elixers stock, and they were good strings, but
I do like the Ernie Ball ones better. I guess it's personal opinion.