Page 2 of 13
Not until now.

I figured out how to play Boxcar on my brother's bell kit yesterday.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
hmmm.....very similar. I'm not gonna accuse them though. it's not so unusual of a riff that they couldn't have thought it up themselves.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by neidnarb11890
24 Hour Revenge Therapy is amazing.
I really love Unfun too. Blake's vocals on that are great, and I love Chris's bass work.
I think Bivouac would be a lot better if the production didn't suck, it's got some really great songs on it.

Truth. Bivouac sounds a little thin, but Big and Chesterfield King are superb songs.
Why does everyone keep accusing bands of ripping off Boxcar?

It's pretty obvious that Jawbreaker wrote that riff to make fun of all the bands like Green Day and Sum 41 that write stupid cliche riffs like that and take it seriously. It's not that they're ripping off that song, it's that they write songs that epitomize everything that song is making fun of.

I mean, the entire song is dripping with lyrical sarcasm, why can't the riff be sarcastic too?

EDIT: My favorite songs on Bivouac are

P.S. New York is Burning
Parabola
Big
Sleep
Tour Song
You Don't Know...
Shield Your Eyes

But I think some of those songs were on the Chesterfield King EP, so they weren't on the vinyl release of Bivouac...
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Sep 16, 2008,
I was under the impression that Boxcar came way before GD and Sum41 got big...

it was released the same year as dookie

i think you guys read way too much into jawbreaker though and put them on too much of a pedestal, most pop punk bands cite them as a major influence.

i would say boxcar is more about people who are worried about how "punk" they are, usually people who would look down there noses at poppunk bands

"your not punk and im telling everyone, save your breath, i never was one"
Quote by Its_Rock77
I was under the impression that Boxcar came way before GD and Sum41 got big...

Maybe not those bands specifically, but you know what I meant...

Quote by FuzzyBear
i would say boxcar is more about people who are worried about how "punk" they are, usually people who would look down there noses at poppunk bands

That makes a little more sense than what I said. I stand by my theory that the riff was intended to be sarcastic, because it was their ONLY song that was so blatantly poppy. It was probably one of those things they did to piss people off. If they got criticized for being poppy, they got poppier. If they got heckled for playing slow, they played slower.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by FuzzyBear
it was released the same year as dookie

i think you guys read way too much into jawbreaker though and put them on too much of a pedestal, most pop punk bands cite them as a major influence.

"your not punk and im telling everyone, save your breath, i never was one"

Yeah thats pretty much exactly what its about. Similar to Indictment. I dont think the intro riff was meant to be satirical either, it seems standard for Jawbreaker
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia

I stand by my theory that the riff was intended to be sarcastic, because it was their ONLY song that was so blatantly poppy.

false

boxcars basic 3 power chord or whatever intro is very reminiscent of chesterfields king basic 3 power chord intro released 2 years previous

want was a pretty poppy song in 1990

dear you was hugely poppy

i think jawbreaker just liked abit of the pop
"and then the cops showed up"

is my favorite moment on the entire album.

Quote by FuzzyBear
false

boxcars basic 3 power chord or whatever intro is very reminiscent of chesterfields king basic 3 power chord intro released 2 years previous

want was a pretty poppy song in 1990

dear you was hugely poppy

i think jawbreaker just liked abit of the pop
Dear You isn't that poppy.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I got 24 Hour Revenge Therapy bout 2 weeks back and I really havent stopped listening to it since. I think Ima get Dear You next.
Quote by element4433
Dear You isn't that poppy.

With the way its production was really smoothed out compared to their other albums, it sort of was. In a vague sense I guess. It had a way more clean and "mainstream" if you will, sound to it. Not saying thats a bad thing at all by the way, its my favorite album by Jawbreaker, by far.
Quote by Zardokk
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
With the way its production was really smoothed out compared to their other albums, it sort of was. In a vague sense I guess. It had a way more clean and "mainstream" if you will, sound to it. Not saying thats a bad thing at all by the way, its my favorite album by Jawbreaker, by far.
clean and mainstream=/=poppy
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by opivy21
Truth. Bivouac sounds a little thin, but Big and Chesterfield King are superb songs.

Yes, I love Big!

EDIT: My favorite songs on Bivouac are

P.S. New York is Burning
Parabola
Big
Sleep
Tour Song
You Don't Know...
Shield Your Eyes

But I think some of those songs were on the Chesterfield King EP, so they weren't on the vinyl release of Bivouac...

I could have gone without having the Chesterfield King EP songs on my CD. Tour Song's definitely not a favorite of mine, and the rest aren't all that great either, IMO.

Anyway, my favorite Bivouac songs would have to be Big, Donatello, Like a Secret, Parabola, and Bivouac.
Never been a big fan of Like a Secret. I forgot Donatello, that song rules hard. Big is a weird tune. The way it flows is just tense and awkward, but I like it. The lyrics are great. Also, Pack It Up is a lame song.

Current favorite Jawbreaker song: Housesitter

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by element4433
clean and mainstream=/=poppy

Thats why I said in a vague sense. You cant possibly tell me there arent at least a handful of pop punk songs on the album.
Quote by Zardokk
Oyster, Bad Scene

24 Hour is pretty much all pop punk and Bivouac has more pop punk songs on it than Dear You does.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

****, I love this band. Got into them around a little over a year ago. Dear You and 24 Hour Revenge Therapy were albums I always listened to last fall.

My favorite songs are Do You Still Hate Me, Bad Scene Everyone's Fault, Unlisted Track, Fireman, Save Your Generation, Boxcar and Indictment.

I'm starting to get into Jets To Brazil too.
Quote by element4433
Oyster, Bad Scene

24 Hour is pretty much all pop punk and Bivouac has more pop punk songs on it than Dear You does.

Lol Im not trying to say if its more or less poppy compared to their other albums. Im simply saying that Dear You has a definite pop influence to it. You seem to have a narrower view of what pop/pop-punk is than I do.
Quote by Zardokk
Quote by AllMidnightEyes

Same here. The girl I'm interning for at the radio station has played Jets to Brazil in each of the first two sessions I've done, and they're definitely growing on me.

Favorite Jawbreaker song is definitely Jinx Removing. The "I love you more..." part is one of the greatest hooks off all time, as far as I'm concerned. After that, Condition Oakland is second. There's really not a bad song on 24 Hour Revenge Therapy.
Quote by AllMidnightEyes

You won't regret that.

Orange Rhyming Dictionary - riff-heavy alt rock with emo influence and a bit of acoustic stuff. One of my favorite rock albums of all time.

Four Cornered Night - A more acoustic-feeling summer/autumn record that has a LOT of piano and a good share of indie rock ballads. Parts of it are depressing, and some of the heavier songs would have fit better on Orange or as a separate EP, but it's an absolutely beautiful record overall.

Perfecting Loneliness - A return to their original hard rock sound, but the songs are longer, sadder, and more complex and epic than their first album. This record is nothing less than a poetic masterpiece.

So, in summary, I recommend all three

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Lol Im not trying to say if its more or less poppy compared to their other albums. Im simply saying that Dear You has a definite pop influence to it. You seem to have a narrower view of what pop/pop-punk is than I do.
I've always thought of Dear You as an alt rock album.

Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
You won't regret that.

Orange Rhyming Dictionary - riff-heavy alt rock with emo influence and a bit of acoustic stuff. One of my favorite rock albums of all time.

Four Cornered Night - A more acoustic-feeling summer/autumn record that has a LOT of piano and a good share of indie rock ballads. Parts of it are depressing, and some of the heavier songs would have fit better on Orange or as a separate EP, but it's an absolutely beautiful record overall.

Perfecting Loneliness - A return to their original hard rock sound, but the songs are longer, sadder, and more complex and epic than their first album. This record is nothing less than a poetic masterpiece.

So, in summary, I recommend all three
Orange is my favorite JtB album. Four Cornered Night sounds almost like an Orange B-Sides album at times. It's their worst album, but that's not an insult. It's still a great album. Perfecting Loneliness is amazing. It would be my favorite, but Orange has the nostalgia factor because it was the first JtB album I got.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
I've always thought of Dear You as an alt rock album.

I'd have to agree with him that it's a pop punk record, but anything we can call it would be a stretch because it has a bit of everything. It even seems to have more hardcore influence than 24HRT did.

The best way to describe it is "a Jawbreaker record produced by Rob Cavallo"

Which should be its own subgenre, really.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
I'd have to agree with him that it's a pop punk record, but anything we can call it would be a stretch because it has a bit of everything. It even seems to have more hardcore influence than 24HRT did.

The best way to describe it is "a Jawbreaker record produced by Rob Cavallo"

Which should be its own subgenre, really.
I don't hear a lot of pop punk punk in it though. Maybe if it had been produced differently that would be more apparent, but I'm having a hard time finding it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

24 Hour definitely had the most pop punk in it. I agree with Collin on the Dear You Thing, I don't hear a lot of pop punk in it. Like 24 Hour seems lighter, I don't know if that's the right word, just something about it feels pop punky and Dear You doesn't.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Sep 21, 2008,
Oh come on, guys. Save Your Generation, I Love You So Much, Fireman, Chemistry, Oyster, Bad Scene, Sluttering, those don't sound like pop punk to you?

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Oyster, Sluttering, and Bad Scene are probably the three tracks closest to pop punk on that album, but overall I wouldn't call it a pop punk album.
Well...

**** you!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I'd say Oyster, Save Your Generation, and Bad Scene.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

So I think a few of us argued about this in Punk Chat a while ago, but let's see what PP&E thinks...

Would you rather have a Jawbreaker reunion, or have Blake front a new band?

I chose the latter.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Jawbreaker reunion with Blake releasing a solo acoustic album.

The new band thing is kind of hard to argue. It all depends on the music they make. If it was more of a Jawbreaker sound than I'd prefer that. But if it's more of a JTB sound, I'd prefer the Jawbreaker reunion.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I want Blake to do whatever Blake wants to do. A Jawbreaker reunion would be great but something new would be equally appealing to me.
Quote by Zardokk
Quote by Manos15
Backed. I want to hear just Blake and his guitar.

+2

Blake and acoustic would be something I'd definitely want to hear. Also, I really really want a Jawbreaker reunion, at least just one tour, just seeing them once would be amazing. Blake fronting a new band would be a pretty cool idea too.