i'm a tube noob,and i really like the sound of my fender bd.have i reached the summitt yet or is a tube rectified amp just that much better???
Member #30 of the Fender Armada

60th anniversery American strat
Ibanez RG 370
MIM strat with ceramic humbucker in bridge
Squeir affinity strat
Fender blues deluxe
fender fm 15g
Boss DS-1
Vox V847
Tube rectified isn't better, it is just different.

I think, SS rectified is like a tighter sound, and Tube rectified is more loose and vintagey sounding.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Well it's all a matter of opinion. Whenever I hear rectifier, I think Mesa/Boogie, and those tend to be best for metal and shred, ect., while Fender is more known for clean and crunch tones. I may be wrong, there may be other types of rectifiers, but seriously - what's the point of adding something if it doesn't affect the sound?
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Rectifiers affect the sound and the response to your playing. A tube rectifier lowers the output of your amp, sometimes by a fair amount depending on the type of tube, which will make it break up quicker. Tube rectifiers also create a sag in the response to your playing, which makes notes 'bloom' as they come out of the amplifier- meaning they get louder after the initial pick attack, instead of being the loudest initially and dying out from there.
It's a matter of preference, really. I've got an amp that can switch between SS and tube rectifiers, I'll get a clip up one of these days.

And ^ to scrambler: dual (using TWO) rectifiers are associated with metal amps, because of some of their tonal characteristics, but tube rectifiers are by no means for metal players only- the fender twin, vox AC30, and marshall JTM45 all had (have) tube rectifiers.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Aug 28, 2007,