ok this is probably a noob question, but i have been playing guitar for a couple of months and probably still a noob so i guess the question is fitting. when i look up keys and modes on guitar theory web sites, it shows were all of the notes in that key and mode are on the fret board. how do they know what notes are in what key. i mean i know the pattern for all of the modes, but i know their has to be more notes in say E dorian than just simply the notes that fall into that pattern. and when i put in E dorian on one of those music theory sites, it shows a ton of notes all over the fret board, i dont under stand how to tell what notes are in that key and mode. i am a little confused and not sure if i am even really asking the right question. could some one that knows what i am asking please give me an answer, and or a link to a web site that gives a good explaination of what i am looking for?
i think i get what you are saying. well if memory serves me correctly, Ionian is the first mode, and it is also the major scale. and the C Ionian scale includes the notes C D E F G A B C. those are the same notes in the key of C. so pretty much, major scale/ionian mode tells you what notes are in what key. same applies for natural minor/aeolian. this should help you in finding out what notes are in what key.

but the Dorian mode is the second mode out of seven. so try and think of it this way, in a diatonic scale, a 7 note scale, the notes only appear once. 7 notes, 7 modes. i hope you get what im saying.

now to determine the notes, all the modes contain the same notes as the parent Major scale. so if you are at the Dorian mode, just go back one note and you are at the major scale, thus showing what notes are in the key. Major scale = key. Natural minor scale = key.
the key you would be in is D Major, the notes in E Dorian would start with...E of course.

just thinking about it, i might as well give you the names of all the modes:
Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian. starting from the root note and ending on the 7th note. again, 7 notes, 7 modes.

i hope this helps you in any way.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
so wait what your saying or atleast i think your saying is that every single C D E F G A B note on the fret board is in the key and mode of C ionian or C major. So does that apply with evey key and mode? if i even interperted what you were saying right.
yes, and yes. but while every mode after Ionian may start with a different note, they still contain the same notes as Major/Ionian.

you pretty much got it.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
how could they contain the same notes as the major/ionian or that key. i still dont understand that part.
alright, i'll try and create and example using the Key of C. we all know that C Major contains the notes C D E F G A B. well, we also know that C Major is the same scale as Ionian. well the second note, D, is the first note in the second mode, Dorian. and D Dorian contains the notes: D E F G A B C. essentially next note, next mode.

if you want to find out what notes would be in the next mode, you just move one note to the "right."
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Here's an "easy" way. You know the patterns, right? Find out what notes are in those patterns and learn where those notes are in different octaves and positions all over the fretboard. Play those notes.

Now, another way is to have a look at the MT Sticky. It shows formation of the major scale and a bit on modes. If you have any questions, post here.