To get to the point, my question is; how much (if any) compression should be used on a track for solo classical guitar?

Would any be used on a track for a professional classical guitarist, or would it just be expected that he/she has enough command over their technique to keep the volume of the guitar within certain levels? I don't want to ruin the dynamic effects with too much compression, but I'd also like to have some level of consistency, so that I don't have to adjust my volume several times in mid-song.

I realize that it might be unlikely that anyone has worked with a professional classical guitarist, but any help would be appreciated
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
One of the first things you must do as an instrument is to ask yourself what that instruments imparts to the track? Is it to add deep undertones, is it to provide a backdrop/wall, or is it to add a delicate intimate touch?

A classical guitar is all about the feeling and dynamics imparted from the player - compression kills all of that. Classical guitar is not about a wall of guitar sound, and is often just as much about the dynamics (and the dynamics should not be to out of hand assuming the guitarist has good technique) as it is the actual notes - so imo not much compression should be used for a classical guitar track.

However, I encourage you to try to think in the way described above and you should be able to create much more tangible "realistic" mixes, and finally- mix with your ears. If the track has a level that is all over the place try repositioning the mics, get the guitarist to stay still, and if all else fails use compression to get the sort of consistent level you need. Let your ear make the rules. Happy mixing.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I think you've both identified the key issue: the idea of making a listenable record, yet retaining the dynamic range.

Therefore, I would use two compressors. The first is simply a gentle limit with a low ratio to slightly even the parts out.

The second compressor would need a high threshold with an equally high ratio, which will simply keep the loud parts loud, reducing clipping and allowing you to bring the levels up.

Can't wait to hear it