Ive been playing for a few years and i have been playing an Aria stg that i got for like 150 with a 15 watt amp when i first started playing. I never got super serious about guitar but for the last month ive gotten into it and have been getting better, and with going off to college i wanna spend alot of time playing. I dunno much about guitars so im not sure would it make a difference whether or not im using this copy of a squire or a nicer guitar?
It's all in your head. You don't need a $2000 dollar guitar to be a great player. Your current guitar will do. I know because I have a ****ty Epiphone SG and I'm getting much better and I know I don't need a new guitar because I can learn everything on this just fine. Your choice though, you can spend the money and get a shiny new axe if you can afford it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
dear god.
Play your crap guitar at home listen to it well.
then go to a guitar store and plug one of the higher end fenders and gibsons and then compare.
i think it will make a large difference if you plan on taking your playing anywhere.
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
Quote by jimmmypage#1
dear god.
Play your crap at home listen to it well.
then go to a guitar store and plug one of the higher end fenders and gibsons and then compare.
i think it will make a large difference if you plan on taking your playing anywhere.

I agree that nice guitars have an awesome tone and have a good feel to them when playing, but from a pure learning perspective, anyone can learn 6-string sweeps on a sh*tty guitar if they wanted to.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Bushrahimself
Ive been playing for a few years and i have been playing an Aria stg that i got for like 150 with a 15 watt amp when i first started playing. I never got super serious about guitar but for the last month ive gotten into it and have been getting better, and with going off to college i wanna spend alot of time playing. I dunno much about guitars so im not sure would it make a difference whether or not im using this copy of a squire or a nicer guitar?

If it has six strings a pick up and plays in tune, you've got everything you'll need to practice on.
Inhuman evil take down!
Yeah thats true, the guitar makes no difference in the learning but everyone likes a nice shiny guitar. ha
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
well the thing is im not a bad player im starting to get alot faster and stuff and i just havent played a good guitar to know if there will be a good difference. I know that it wont make me better but sometimes i feel my guitar isn't sounding so good anymore on higher frets n stuff
total n00b
Ibanez RG350MDX (black)
Ibanez GAX70 (red)
Ibanez Roadstar II Series
Ibanez ToneBlaster100H Head
Ibanez ToneBlaster100H Cab
BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
BOSS NS-2 Noise Supressor
Except for certain extremes, the guitar doesn't make much difference in terms of how well you can learn on it, but if at any point you start performing whether with a band or on your own, your equipment becomes more of an issue.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
You should be fine with your guitar. unless you hate your tone, or unless your looking to play infront of a lot of people.
For learning purposes basically any guitar will do, but eventually you will want to upgrade. Higher-End guitars won't affect your tone nearly as much as a high-end amp will, but it will give you infinitely better playability, tuning, playing options, and overall feel/sound of the instrument.

Basically, a squier through a mesa boogie fullstack will sound much better tonally than a Custom Les Paul through a 10 watt fender amp, but the latter will absolutely destroy the former in comfort and playability, thus further improving your sound.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
I suggest upgrading to a slightly better guitar first off before an amp. depending on which STg you have.

I had an STG-003 or something like that and it really wasn't good and i upgraded to a 400 dolelr guitar (Australian) and it helped my learning a heap.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
dude if you have the money for a nice sparkly guitar then go have a play with some in your local stores see which one is right for ya
i learnt on a dodgy fender bullitt for about seven years before i could afford some thing alot sweeter. it didnt affect how i learnt technique.
Sure a top end guitar will look and sound like a dream but if your sitting on your bed like billy no mates is it gonna matter?
Dude a guitar, for me anyway is more about who i am not how it makes me look if i could only have dirty horrible guitars i would still play them till my fingers bled.
think about it
its been emotional
Get what guitar feels right to you.
i have been playing for 7 years i have had many guitars. my first was a harmony it was cheap but it helped me learn. as years went on i upgraded my stuff and i am now playing a gibson V and have a few amps and acoustics, looking at getting a shector. feeling, action, and size or what not all make up a big part of how you are going to play. size of strings. just go to the music store and try different types and brands, get what you are comfortable playing. the more you play it the more you will become attached. or visit www.musicianfriends.com and look for guitars veiw what people have to say about them before you buy them so you know if it is worth the buy.
Quote by jimmmypage#1
Yeah thats true, the guitar makes no difference in the learning but everyone likes a nice shiny guitar. ha

I play an Ibanez Iceman 400, I admit, it's a pretty nice guitar, but I got it quite cheap at the store, and i've custom modded it (new bridge/neck pups, straploks, skull volume knobs etc...) but at the end of the day that's just cause I wanted it to look and sound good cause I play a lot. It doesn't make a difference when you're learning, but I like to sound nice when I play, cause it makes me feel better.

For me, a guitar at this point in my career that doesn't sound good is like working really hard on creating a new computer game only to be playing it with a graphics card from 1995.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
I find the biggest difference to be when you are comparing acoustics. A ****ty 100$ acoustic will slice your fingers up and sound like crap, while a better one will feel heavenly. I assume its the same with guitars, but I've only ever really played stuff in the 400-700 range, and I liked em all.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Just go to your local guitar shop and play some guitars
e|----------5-------7-5h7p5---5--
B|-------5----8p5-------------8---8p5--
G|-5h6-----------------------------------7b9r--p5---5b--
D|-----------------------------------------------------7-----7-7~~~
I believe the difference is partly psychological but there is a difference to be had. Unless you're making a DRASTIC change like I was (two completely opposite guitars -- Epiphone LP and Fender Jaguar), the actual sound difference is nominal -- except, as stated, when a drastic change is being made. However, if you were playing a poorly set up guitar with a scale length completely inappropriate for your hand size and going to a smooth, perfectly appropriated guitar, you WILL notice a big difference in your ability to play, because the guitar is more suited to you.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Id Say its worth it, Right now i have a Rip off Stratocaster called a "Starcaster" and ill admit its a cheap guitar, but i got an amp first so i can play gigs with my band, but when i play my friends jackson the neck and the action make a big diffrence when i play. its better to practice on a guitar that you will play alot so that you are accustomed to its feel. Im planning on getting a jackson, you will have to play one at your local music store cuz the neck is so smooth and you can really shred. but get a guitar that feels good to play, and fits your style.
i don't think its about the gear, but what you can do with the gear. my first electric guitar was in a cheap starter pack, but theres nothing wrong with it, i can still play it as good as any other. although theres nothing wrong with buying a new guitar, except tere so damn expensive!!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Quote by copet
I find the biggest difference to be when you are comparing acoustics. A ****ty 100$ acoustic will slice your fingers up and sound like crap

practicing on a ****ty 100$ acoustic will give you muscles and presicion that whiny downtuned elec guitarists will never dream of
i NEVER play my electric guitar before warming up on my crappy acoustic, just because its freakin hard to play and you can never play good sounding sweeps, so it will always keep pushing you to get better
so i think you should get a crappy acoustic and play till your fingers bleed
One thing I would suggest is if your getting a new guitar, avoid ordering off of the internet not because its a bad thing, its just because you wont get to actually play the instrument before you buy it. Let me explain. For me, the better guitars kinda helped a little bit but what I found most helpful was the neck thickness. I origionally started on an arianna (hope thats spelled right) and it had a really thin neck, and me haveing bigger hands would have my fingers stumble around the fretboard. My second guitar was a gibson sg, which had a neck about twice as thick and my fingers no longer got in each others way, and my third is a dean razorback, which again has a thick neck but that one also has a v neck which seemed to help make me faster. So instead of just going with whats good and whats not, I would definatley suggest to go play some guitars, and choose the one that has the best feel to you.
imo it totally depends on your approach to guitars... personally I couldn't care less about the sound of my guitar, I play because I love the feeling of my fingers touching the fretboard, and stroking the strings. that's why I play. ofcourse it's a plus if the sound you produce actually sounds decent, but it's not the main thing I play for... I play because I want to play, not because I want sound. if I want sound, I'll put up a cd.