Hey fellas,

sorry if this is a wrong thread but I wasn't sure where else to post.

I was offered to get a subscription to a guitar magazine but I am not entirely sure which magazine to go for. I've only started playing few months ago and have a wide taste in music (maybe except death metal and extremely cheesy pop :P)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Klugzy
my regular magazine is Total Guitar. It has decent reviews for gear, as well as a few songs tabbed out in full every month and a cd to go with it.
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
^ Total guitar's new format is terrible, although i've had a rant about it on here before and i CBA to get into

If you're in the US - Guitar World is excellent, and i nthe UK you could try guitarist or if you're just wanting techniques Guitar Techniques is excellent

But saying that Total Guitar seems to be aiming for younger guitarists now who are just getting into it
It may be worth a consideration if you're only just starting to play
If you're in the US, there's Guitar World, my personal favorite. They have lots of interviews with famous artists, they transcribe 5 songs per issue and they have lots of gear and music reviews. They also have famous artists writing guest columns, like Slash, Michael Angelo Batio and the dudes from Shadows fall.

Guitar Player I don't like so much, but a lot of people do. It seems to be more "mature". It focusses a lot on different styles, but often it features less known artists. They also review gear which no-one has heard of and which no-one can afford.

In the UK, there's Guitarist magazine, which has a lot of gear reviews, about 1 song and then a few columns written by teachers from music schools about all sorts of styles

And there's Total guitar, which focusses on teenagers. It's a fun read every now and then, but it's not the greatest to teach you to play, really. Total guitar transcribe a lot of popular songs, but most of them are easy to play so there's not much you can read about them "in depth"
Last edited by sashki at Aug 29, 2007,
Total Guitar aims for noobs, I hate it.

If you're aiming to learn stuff pick up Guitar Techniques, if you're looking to buy stuff pick up Guitar Buyer, if you want everything in one excrutiatingly expensive mag then get Guitarist.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah in the UK you pretty much have Total Guitar which is more lessons than interviews and gear reviews. Or Guitarist which is much better for gear reviews and Interviews ect but not so hot on the lessons. Id take Total Guitar if I were you as theres more practical stuff to learn in there.

Unless you are in the US then I don't know...although I hear you can still.
Thanks for quick replies guys.

I'm currently chosing between Total Guitar and Guitarist then

Sorry forgot to mention- I am from London, so UK it is
I'm in UK, and I only read Guitarist or Guitar Buyer.

Total Guitar fails. Epicly.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Yeah il agree Total guitar is genearlly the smallest and least well written when it comes to gear reviews and articles but it has got the best tuition section by far.
^ Halikus - go and buy Guitar Techniques, it's entirely lessons
I find, especially recently that Total Guitars exercises are actually fairly basic and don't promote higherstandards of dexterity, plus they've now replaced the solo/shred section bit with a starting guitarist bit

It's just gone *BLAGH* on everyone who doesn't want that stuffs faces
Ok guys, you've convinced me to subscribe to Guitarist Thanks for all of the advices. I might just buy one copy of "Total Guitars" just to see if its as crap as you say

Thanks all once again

Peace
guitarist rules!...
and well indeed buy some other magazine's... just to check others
Quote by Klugzy
Ok guys, you've convinced me to subscribe to Guitarist Thanks for all of the advices. I might just buy one copy of "Total Guitars" just to see if its as crap as you say

Thanks all once again

Peace

Hrm well i'm not denying TG can be attractive to new guitarists etc, but you'll eventually find that it's very limited

Guitarist may sound very up its own bottom, but its far more indepth and interesting
I'll try both then, but will only subscribe to one after a few reads
I so badly miss TGs Paul Gilbert, Herman Li and Alexi Laihos lessons. Satchs and Vais were also great while they lasted.

I tried Guitar Techniques when I could get it and found it ok but no CD hurt it alot as reading music is a skill i dont possess so if theres anything tabbed i havnt heard i struggle figure the phrasing.

As for what Il read now its pretty much Guitarist as im mostly interested in the articles and such along with the gear reviews. Technique isn't so far on my agenda anymore as I just practice with my metronome and guitar pro 5 to slow tracks down for phrasings sake.
I go with guitar world, but ignore the amp and effect reviews.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by MrCarrot
Total Guitar aims for noobs, I hate it.

If you're aiming to learn stuff pick up Guitar Techniques, if you're looking to buy stuff pick up Guitar Buyer, if you want everything in one excrutiatingly expensive mag then get Guitarist.

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Reincaster
I go with guitar world, but ignore the amp and effect reviews.

They've upped the amount of Lessons, since they squashed GuitarOne. So that's nice. I never read it before.

I also subscribe to GuitarPlayer, and was thinking about subscribing to Guitar Techniques, just cause there's a lot of lessons there. But it is expensive in the US.
I hate TGs new layout, too. Why on earth have LESS reviews? :s That said, I like their tips that accompany the tabs, this is a feature Guitar World doesn't have.

I find Guitar World better for lessons and reviews, but the constant ads get annoying, there's too many of them. Also, for some reason, in Guitar World, say an interview starts on page 20, after a page or two it'll randomly say ''continued on page 85'' or something. This happens in every issue and it's really annoying when you want to find an interview quickly or just sit down and relax reading.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
Quote by halikus
I so badly miss TGs Paul Gilbert, Herman Li and Alexi Laihos lessons. Satchs and Vais were also great while they lasted.

I tried Guitar Techniques when I could get it and found it ok but no CD hurt it alot as reading music is a skill i dont possess so if theres anything tabbed i havnt heard i struggle figure the phrasing.

As for what Il read now its pretty much Guitarist as im mostly interested in the articles and such along with the gear reviews. Technique isn't so far on my agenda anymore as I just practice with my metronome and guitar pro 5 to slow tracks down for phrasings sake.

GT has a CD now so thats all remedied
Guitar Player is the only one I subscribe to. I pick up an issue of Guitar World here and there, but for the most part it's a waste. The lessons are only good if you want to "shred", but if you really want to know what you're doing, go for Guitar Player. The guitarists they feature may not be "well known", but most of them are masters of the instrument.
I used to get TG, but I think its **** now. They review ****ing Deans every single month, and tab crap songs.
I used to read TG, but it's getting crappier by the minute. I read Guitarist and Guitar Techniques, and think the latter may be the best if you're pretty new to the instrument.
Quote by Tom_hatton
I used to get TG, but I think its **** now. They review ****ing Deans every single month, and tab crap songs.

They have their tongue up Deans ass, they never give them a bad review. They seriously must have some sorta deal or something
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
i'm starting to get worried, i haven't read Total Guitar in ages, and it was pretty crappy back then... o_O

actually, what's quite ironic is that it was actually semi-decent back in the day, more aimed at the lower-intermediate player. Of course, I was only starting back then. Then lo and behold, once I'd got over the beginner hurdles, it turned into a beginner mag! Foiled.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm starting to get worried, i haven't read Total Guitar in ages, and it was pretty crappy back then... o_O

actually, what's quite ironic is that it was actually semi-decent back in the day, more aimed at the lower-intermediate player. Of course, I was only starting back then. Then lo and behold, once I'd got over the beginner hurdles, it turned into a beginner mag! Foiled.

They tend to go through phases of fellating one artist. For the time I was reading it (about a year or so) they went from Trivium to Dimebag to Zakk Wylde to Mark Tremonti back to Dimebag and now they're back on Trivium.

And the gear reviews are crap. I actually worked out that about 4/5 of the "review" is just them yakking on about the spec of the thing. My favourite TG *Facepalm* moment was in a washburn review.

"...We were already excited enough that this guitar had EMGs, but that excitement turned to hysteria when we found a battery hatch. Yep, these are active pickups, meaning you can have the same tone as Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammett!"

Anywho, I hate TG, though it's fun to read every once in a while if they have a decent interview. I only ever bought one issue of Guitarist, but it was quite good, nice gear reviews but the articles were a bit boring.

I picked up a copy each of Guitar & Bass magazine and Guitar World in WHSmith the other day, G&B was kind of crap, seemed very cheaply put together and didn't have a whole lot of interesting stuff (though the gear reviews were very good, some nice boutique stuff in there).

Guitar World I was surprised at, I was expecting it to be TG with more americanisms but it was actually very good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by TwoString
Guitar Player is the only one I subscribe to. I pick up an issue of Guitar World here and there, but for the most part it's a waste. The lessons are only good if you want to "shred", but if you really want to know what you're doing, go for Guitar Player. The guitarists they feature may not be "well known", but most of them are masters of the instrument.

Yeah, I love the latest issue of GP with Alex Lifeson. It's so edu-frickin'-cational for blues players.
Quote by timi_hendrix
They tend to go through phases of fellating one artist. For the time I was reading it (about a year or so) they went from Trivium to Dimebag to Zakk Wylde to Mark Tremonti back to Dimebag and now they're back on Trivium.

And the gear reviews are crap. I actually worked out that about 4/5 of the "review" is just them yakking on about the spec of the thing. My favourite TG *Facepalm* moment was in a washburn review.

"...We were already excited enough that this guitar had EMGs, but that excitement turned to hysteria when we found a battery hatch. Yep, these are active pickups, meaning you can have the same tone as Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammett!"

Anywho, I hate TG, though it's fun to read every once in a while if they have a decent interview. I only ever bought one issue of Guitarist, but it was quite good, nice gear reviews but the articles were a bit boring.

I picked up a copy each of Guitar & Bass magazine and Guitar World in WHSmith the other day, G&B was kind of crap, seemed very cheaply put together and didn't have a whole lot of interesting stuff (though the gear reviews were very good, some nice boutique stuff in there).

Guitar World I was surprised at, I was expecting it to be TG with more americanisms but it was actually very good.

i generally buy guitarist and guitar buyer. have to have something to read... o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
guitar world and acoustic guitar world are the best.
Member #30 of the Fender Armada

60th anniversery American strat
Ibanez RG 370
MIM strat with ceramic humbucker in bridge
Squeir affinity strat
Fender blues deluxe
fender fm 15g
Boss DS-1
Vox V847
Guitarist is far and away the best produced and well written guitar magazine on British shelves with the exception of Guitar Techniques, which is great for lessons and such-like. For someone who is just getting into guitar, Guitarist will have more than enough in it to keep you interested and is informative without being patronising. Total Guitar may seem like a better choice for beginners, but believe me, within a couple of months, you'll get tired of the repetition and recycling of articles, and want something that takes more than 20 minutes to read cover to cover.