I'm need to recap my amp and can't find affordable Polypropylene Capacitors in some of the values I need. I can find metallized Polypropylene capacitors in the right values. Will they work? Or will they sound horrible? I want to recap the amp with vitamin Q caps in the next year or two but I need something that will help the amp sound better now. Waiting and saving money isn't an option. So will metallized poly caps sound ok on an amp?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I'm need to recap my amp and can't find affordable Polypropylene Capacitors in some of the values I need. I can find metallized Polypropylene capacitors in the right values. Will they work? Or will they sound horrible? I want to recap the amp with vitamin Q caps in the next year or two but I need something that will help the amp sound better now. Waiting and saving money isn't an option. So will metallized poly caps sound ok on an amp?

They'll sound fine, just make sure you get them in the right value and that they have a high breakdown voltage (I'm assuming you're talking about a tube amp, I'd be going 350V caps minimum).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I'm looking at 500V and they will be replacing the original 60's caps in my bassman. So it sounds like they should be ok?

Is the difference in sound between the two types very big?
Quote by CorduroyEW
I'm looking at 500V and they will be replacing the original 60's caps in my bassman. So it sounds like they should be ok?

Is the difference in sound between the two types very big?

500V is plenty high enough. Difference in tone will be rather subjective - chances are the old caps have wandered all over the place in capacitance so they will sound different to the new caps. After a while of playing, they will start to settle down and will again sound different, but whether you're going to like it is entirely reliant on what you think sounds good.
If it's just a temporary thing till you do some cap upgrading, I can't see why you shouldn't go for it. You might want to read this page, some think it's mojo but you can let your ears decide what sounds better.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
The caps I have now leak to when the amp just starts to overdrive the signal will drop and then shoot up and then drop again so I'm pretty sure it'll sound better when I'm done.

What I meant by what is the difference is in what way do poly film caps sound different than metallized poly film caps?
Another cap question I have... I can't find the 25uf 25 volt electrolytic capacitors that I need. Will using 22uf 63volt electrolytic hurt anything?
Quote by CorduroyEW
Another cap question I have... I can't find the 25uf 25 volt electrolytic capacitors that I need. Will using 22uf 63volt electrolytic hurt anything?
I don't think there will be much difference - electrolytic caps are so intolerantly made that a 25uF cap could well measure 20uF and visa versa.

And as far as I know, there are slight tonal differences between cap types. Most people tend to prefer Mallory or Sprague Orange Drop caps in amps. I get all my electrical stuff of www.banzaieffects.com , they stock Mallory and Sprague.

And AFAIK, there are no real differences between Metalized foil and regular foil caps - except I've heard that metalized foil allows for tighter tolerances and higher performance.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by CorduroyEW

Nope, they will be fine. Are you sure it's 25v and not 250V? 25v seems a bit too small to have in a tube amp.
Not if it's in the preamp- or at least in my amp, I have a few 40some volt caps.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by the_random_hero
Nope, they will be fine. Are you sure it's 25v and not 250V? 25v seems a bit too small to have in a tube amp.

I'm sure. My power amp uses four 525v filter caps and 2 350v filter caps. My bias supply uses a 50v filter cap. The gain stages (I think thats the right term but I'm not exactly hip with the lingo) in this amp use 25uf/25vdc electrolytic caps.