distortion is an exreme version of overdrive, OD is what you get when you crank a tube amp. and read the stickies
anyone, correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe distortion is just a more over-the-top version of overdrive

in essence, i think they are pretty much the same

EDIT: ^beat me to it
Member #5 of the The Haunted fan club.
Quote by The red Strat.
distortion is an exreme version of overdrive, OD is what you get when you crank a tube amp. and read the stickies

Well, which one? I don't feel like going through them all.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Would overdrive work better in a tube amp than distortion? Talking about pedals now, btw, lol.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Stentroll
Would overdrive work better in a tube amp than distortion? Talking about pedals now, btw, lol.

Yes, in most cases. But it's important to realise that the best OD comes from a tube amp itself. This is why famous amps like Marshalls are highly prized (well, the older ones.), because they have a lovely, creamy, 'crunch' to them, which is the overdrive.
Overdrive-
Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.

styles
- Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion -
Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion. Distortion is, sound wise anyways, a very extreme version of overdrive. That?s why a lot people think they're hearing distortion when they hear overdrive. Distortion cuts off the extreme high and low frequencies. In other words, it eliminates the highest highs and lowest lows, creating a distortion effect. distortion ranges from mild to ball shattering in intensity and thickness.

styles
- Punk, Grunge, Heavy Metal, Death Metal and all other forms of metal you can think of
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
Overdrive-
Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.

styles
- Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion -
Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion. Distortion is, sound wise anyways, a very extreme version of overdrive. That?s why a lot people think they're hearing distortion when they hear overdrive. Distortion cuts off the extreme high and low frequencies. In other words, it eliminates the highest highs and lowest lows, creating a distortion effect. distortion ranges from mild to ball shattering in intensity and thickness.

styles
- Punk, Grunge, Heavy Metal, Death Metal and all other forms of metal you can think of

Thanks, that helps a lot .
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
how about fuzz?
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
Distortion and Overdrive boxes are nearly the same thing, it's just how they clip the signals. Overdrives use soft clipping like a naturally overdriven tube, distortion uses hard clipping which sounds harsher. I think a fuzz probably falls under hard clipping. Not sure though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids