I want to retube my mesa boogie stiletto deuce, but I don't know what tubes to get in it. It has EL34s at the moment, but I want higher gain and more like a rectifier, so I was thinking 6L6s?

Some advice on what I should have in the preamp and poweramp?
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
Quote by tabber666
I want to retube my mesa boogie stiletto deuce, but I don't know what tubes to get in it. It has EL34s at the moment, but I want higher gain and more like a rectifier, so I was thinking 6L6s?

Some advice on what I should have in the preamp and poweramp?

The Stilettos are designed specifically for the EL34 valve. Either put in KT77s if you really want a different tone, otherwise I'd stick with EL34. Stilettos aren't designed to be as brootal high gain as a Recto..
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ agreed with above post. if the recto gain is what you like then sell the stiletto and get a recto but i couldnt imagine a stiletto with 6l6s
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
what tubes should I put in instead then? I just want a little more gain, I already have a boost pedal, this amp just isn't really made for metal
My Gear:

Quote by tabber666
what tubes should I put in instead then? I just want a little more gain, I already have a boost pedal, this amp just isn't really made for metal

Go with some JJ EL34s and JJ highgain 12AX7s. Get 'em off eurotubes.com.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ ok, thanks for that, if it doesn't sound much better, I will probably sell it and get a dual rectifier. How much do mint condition stiletto's go for over here? (it's a stage 1)
My Gear:

Last edited by tabber666 at Aug 29, 2007,
your in london so i would imagine you could get a good amount for it since mesas are priced over there you might want to look into other kinds of amps to

The stiletto is very bright if you like bright amps but want more gain look into ENGLs bright heavy metal monsters
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by MrCarrot
Go with some JJ EL34s and JJ highgain 12AX7s. Get 'em off eurotubes.com.

just to add to what Carrot said, you may want to look at the JJ E34L's while you're there too. Little more headroom and tighter lowend than the standard EL34 supposedly.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I have no idea what the used price is? I checked eBay but there are none on there and I checked the completed auctions, still nothing.

Would £1000 be reasonable?
My Gear: