well i dont know if this qualifies as basics but w.e.
im relatively new to electric guitar playing, ive been playing guitar all together for 2 years, and i want to start learning theory, were should i start?

thanks.
umm, learn all the pentatonic scale shapes and stuff. yeah learn scales and how to improvise etc
Check the lessons section of the site out, theres a lesson on it called 'a beginners guide to music theory'. Sorted.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Start with learning the basics of reading sheet music. Memorising scales and such won't help you at all if you can't ask or answer why.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Learn the notes on the fretboard, the learn the major scale - that's where you have to start.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Learn the notes on the fretboard, the learn the major scale - that's where you have to start.

You don't *have* to start there, in fact most don't. No other instrument is associated with the ridiculous approach to theory that the guitar is.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Me2NiK
You don't *have* to start there, in fact most don't. No other instrument is associated with the ridiculous approach to theory that the guitar is.

Shush...

...you can't learn theory without knowing the notes - that's like trying to learn to read without knowing the alphabet. You also need the major scale as it's the frame of reference fro pretty much everything else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Shush...

...you can't learn theory without knowing the notes - that's like trying to learn to read without knowing the alphabet. You also need the major scale as it's the frame of reference fro pretty much everything else.

You don't need to have memorised the notes on the fret board though, or learnt the major scale except the theory behind it do actaully DO theory, that's why its theory, you just need them for application
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Peanut1614
You don't need to have memorised the notes on the fret board though, or learnt the major scale except the theory behind it do actaully DO theory, that's why its theory, you just need them for application

What use is theory without application ya picky git?

TS: If you want to learn theory the notes of the fretboard are a must, then you can learn scales without using them as patterns but as notes and that will lead to levels of playing that will be more melodically and harmonically rewarding.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Peanut1614

I didn't say memorise...I said learn

TBH I don't think you ever need to have memorised every note as such, but you at least need to be able to work out what they are. The Major scale has been the foundation of Western (as in the Western hemisphere, not the other half of "country and") music for several centuries and it's what all our theory is based around - without it you can't learn any of the other stuff.

Strictly speaking you *could* learn musical notation without knowing how it translated to the guitar, but it'd be pretty pointless and you'd learn it a lot faster if you were able to actually use everything you'd learned.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc