Does it sound really ****ed up if you record vocals through an instrumental mic or vice versa? I'd rather not have to get two microphones. So basically can one can record the other and sound at least reasonable, without excessive feedback, amplification of picking, muffled vocals/guitar,etc?

If I really need two to get an at all decent sound, then let me know.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Shure SM 57(instrument condensator) and Shure SM 58 SE (vocals) are both quite good for "multitasking", however, with the current price of these microphones, I recommend getting one of each. It can be done with one, but two is strongly suggested, unless you have some special preference in terms of sound, that can only be achieved though tweaking use of a mic that is designed for another instrument etc.
Quote by moody07747
The SM57 (^which is a Dynamic mic...^) is a good mic for both instruments and vocals

I like it more for studio use but for live use go with a SM58

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35745

Damn you... That's true about the SM57. It's the one I always use in the studio for my guitar, and I seemed to remember it being a condensator... I was thinking about SHURE SM86, which is an overrated live mic, basically. 57 for studio guitars, and Sennheiser e906 for live mic-ups.
Thanks, you were both helpful. I'll probably just get the SM57 for now then. I was actually thinking if I had to get 2 I'd get the two you (Cuddrow) suggested. I'm sure I'll end up getting both anyway, but I don't have the money at the moment.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT