hi

im looking for an overdrive pedal for my new laney VC50. im looking for a pedal to tighten the tone and boost it for solos etc.

i play hard rock, and love john sykes, zakk wylde, paul gilbert and players of that ilk.

ive looked into alot of options, like:

digitech bad monkey,
MXR ZW404,
dod YJM308,
boss sd-1,
marshall guv'nor 2 plus,
korg 105od classic overdrive
MXR mirco amp

i try not to walk the beaten path so im not looking for a tubescreamer. at the moment im favouring the marshall because its "deep" control.

can anyone give me some opinions or suggest other suitable alternatives?

I know the fulltone OCD rocks but I can't give you specific advice. I'd look into it.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
yeah ive been told the OCD's are very good pedals, but ive found them hard to come by in the UK. im pretty sure they arent distributed here, may be wrong though...
just buy within europe. it's the same thing. no taxes

you should find it in german stores
take a look at the exotic AC booster, it's supposed to be great, it's not an OD but a clean boost, should do what you want it to though
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
my friend has the same amp as yours and I tried it with my bad monkey. it sounded great. it really boosts the amp heavily. You will get good chugs..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

check out a full drive 2. i love mine, and use it everyday. but i use it to boost my clean channel. because its hard to crank my amp at home
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
The only pedal I can really give advice on is the SD-1.
Its a great budget pedal, good for rock and stuff, I wouldn't say it can do metal or high gain stuff very well though, unless you use it to boost your amps gain. IMO it doesn't have much gain, and I'm probably gonna save up for something better to replace it.
Try out the Digitech Screamin' Blues pedal. Despite it's name, it can really handle everything from the absolute smallest signal boost up to a really very overdriven or distorted, near-metal sound (similarly, their Death Metal pedal can produce a surprisingly good tone for blues playing. They really need to name their products better). It definately out-performs any of the other Digitech and Boss boost/OD/dist pedals (which admittedly have ben all I've tried in the past, but eh).
Quote by bokuho
Try out the Digitech Screamin' Blues pedal. Despite it's name, it can really handle everything from the absolute smallest signal boost up to a really very overdriven or distorted, near-metal sound (similarly, their Death Metal pedal can produce a surprisingly good tone for blues playing. They really need to name their products better). It definately out-performs any of the other Digitech and Boss boost/OD/dist pedals (which admittedly have ben all I've tried in the past, but eh).

are you telling me its BETTER than the bad monkey?

also, has anyone used a guv'nor? because im leaning towards that at the minute and dont know if i should be
i thought the guvnor was a distortion pedal, not overdrive? anyway it will give you a grittier more gainy sound than an overdrive, more crunchy but less smooth.
Just incase you really wanted them:

OCD: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fulltone_ocd.htm

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_FULLTONEOCD.html

Fulldrive 2: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fulltone_fulldrive_mosfet.htm

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_FULLDRIVE2BLUE.html

ZVex Box of Rock is meant to be ace aswell. It and the fulldrive have a boost side like you wanted
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
People have already suggested the Fulltone OCD, and I would too. I've got one and I can say that it is an absolulely fantastic pedal. The distortion is very smooth and natural sounding, with great response to pick dynamics etc - very tweakable too.

The only thing I'd warn you about is that it is a very bassy pedal. It chucks out huge amounts of bottom end - so you need to tweak your settings to counteract this.
Quote by the_guy
i thought the guvnor was a distortion pedal, not overdrive? anyway it will give you a grittier more gainy sound than an overdrive, more crunchy but less smooth.

is it not an OD?
Quote by ECistheBest
ProCo Rat would work for you too.

now thats DEFINITELY a dist pedal!

EDIT: im only looking for something to push my VC50 a little harder, not for a distortion in its own right.

anyone used the MXR zakk wylde or the DOD malmsteen?
Last edited by doddsie_105 at Aug 31, 2007,
i've played the zakk and yngwie ODs, didnt like both. OCD, catalinbread silver kiss, zvex bor, bad monkey, sd-1, these are probably in your price range, not counting the TS clones since you dont want one. i found the 2 ODs you mentioned really noisy and never really could get a nice setting, or there were pedals who did it better.
Quote by doddsie_105
im only looking for something to push my VC50 a little harder, not for a distortion in its own right.

You considered Boost Pedals?
Maybe Fulldrive or Zvex Box of Rock, they have both OD and boost functions in them, bit pricey though.
If you just want to push it a little harder then try something like a Bad Monkey. I use one as my dirty channel with a Valve Junior and it works great. Plus it's only £30, even if you don't like it then it isn't a great loss..
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
If you just want to push it a little harder then try something like a Bad Monkey. I use one as my dirty channel with a Valve Junior and it works great. Plus it's only £30, even if you don't like it then it isn't a great loss..

what sort of stuff do you use it for?

any clips?

Quote by doddsie_105
what sort of stuff do you use it for?

any clips?

No clips, sorry, I don't have a mic. But it has a vintagey-kind of overdrive tone and into a clean, british amp it gets into Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin tonal territory. That's a clean amp though remember - into a distorted amp it will push your gain even higher. It works well as a clean boost too.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
sounds good to me. anything that will give me a smooth, liquid lead tone with sustain and harmonics is what im looking for.

anyone got an opinion of the STOCK boss sd1?
Quote by doddsie_105
sounds good to me. anything that will give me a smooth, liquid lead tone with sustain and harmonics is what im looking for.

anyone got an opinion of the STOCK boss sd1?

Yeah, I've got a really old one (80s).
It's good, you can get good tones and a good boost through my solid state.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
i heard the clean boost on the fulldrive 2 pops really hard when you click it in, true?
Austin Les Paul rip-off that sounds really nice
Gibson V
PEAVEY JSX 212
Quote by new original
i heard the clean boost on the fulldrive 2 pops really hard when you click it in, true?

Doesnt pop for me, at all.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45