right... close call so

what does everyone think of thunderbirds...?
cool or a waste of time.
Last edited by elliott FTW at Aug 29, 2007,
WOW fast bear your like freaking out CHILL NOOB
Gear:
Epiphone Les paul
silvertone smartt III

gear after:
Dean ML79 w/Floyd Electric Guitar
Transparent Braziliaburst

Member #21 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
Quote by jakamufn
WOW fast bear your like freaking out CHILL NOOB

Did you just call Fast Bear a noob?

Anyway, use the search bar and type in Thunderbird. There have been dozens of threads about them and how much most people hate them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
As apposed to making you search, I'll tell you this now. Thunderbirds suck. Horrible balance, pitiful fret access, combined with a muddy tone=fail. People can argue the tone, but everything else about it makes it fail horribly.
Quote by IndianRockStar
As apposed to making you search, I'll tell you this now. Thunderbirds suck. Horrible balance, pitiful fret access, combined with a muddy tone=fail. People can argue the tone, but everything else about it makes it fail horribly.

I am not partial to any form of Gibson bass at all... but I must admit they do look pretty cool when you're rocking out.
I actually dont mind t-birds. They play pretty good and I like the sound it had. Grant it if you want to use frets 15- whatever, its gonna take an act of God to do it well.

Oh and this has been bothering me... Why are guitars and basses being named after cars (or vice versa so dont get flamed hevily)? I mean fire/thunderbirds, corvettes. Next your gonna start seeing car companies stealing guitar names like the new Ford Les Paul.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
I actually dont mind t-birds. They play pretty good and I like the sound it had. Grant it if you want to use frets 15- whatever, its gonna take an act of God to do it well.

Oh and this has been bothering me... Why are guitars and basses being named after cars (or vice versa so dont get flamed hevily)? I mean fire/thunderbirds, corvettes. Next your gonna start seeing car companies stealing guitar names like the new Ford Les Paul.

lol... never thought about that!
Well, Chevrolet didn't invent the word Corvette. It's like a warship or something like that..

So the bass and the car are named after a warship. :P

Anyways, on topic.. I've only played a thunderbird once and I personally liked it. I felt really comfortable on it and it sounded fine, nothing special though. I'd never buy one.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
Quote by silentdob

Well, luckily you have companies like Ibanez making horrible, horrible, soulless names like the GSR200 and the SR705 that no car would ever want to be called.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by IndianRockStar

All true, but I love the shape of the body. That's why you build your own and rework the bottom horn for better fret access. Everything else depends on what you put in
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
All true, but I love the shape of the body. That's why you build your own and rework the bottom horn for better fret access. Everything else depends on what you put in

Rework the horn? That would kill the symmetry and make it look super-duper horrible! Even then, you'd have 20 frets of access, which is what any old Fender has. You can buy a Thunderbird, ugly it up, and get the Fender fret access with that bland, muddy tone, or you can get... anything else. What is it that people love about Gibson basses? Is it one of the situations where the guitar player uses one, so I gotta be cool?

EDIT: Using some mad Photoshopping skills, I've designed a new Thunderbird body that has a little better fret access.

Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 30, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
Rework the horn? That would kill the symmetry and make it look super-duper horrible! Even then, you'd have 20 frets of access, which is what any old Fender has. You can buy a Thunderbird, ugly it up, and get the Fender fret access with that bland, muddy tone, or you can get... anything else. What is it that people love about Gibson basses? Is it one of the situations where the guitar player uses one, so I gotta be cool?

EDIT: Using some mad Photoshopping skills, I've designed a new Thunderbird body that has a little better fret access.

By "reworking the horn" I just mean scooping a little more from that indentation. It still looks perfectly fine. And I'm putting in two Duncan humbuckers and some not-so-normal controls, so I'm not worried about the tone (why would the body shape affect the tone anyway?)
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

The scoop would SO kill the symmetry. The scoop of the Thunderbird is level to the other side of the bass. If you scoop the bass further (about 5 frets deeper), one side of the neck will be much, much lower than the other side of the neck, and the top horn will taper inwards, and it would look like hell, as well as require a refinish.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
They're great if you don't mind bad playability and tone that sounds like a wet fart.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by thefitz
The scoop would SO kill the symmetry. The scoop of the Thunderbird is level to the other side of the bass. If you scoop the bass further (about 5 frets deeper), one side of the neck will be much, much lower than the other side of the neck, and the top horn will taper inwards, and it would look like hell, as well as require a refinish.

I'm not taking away anywhere near 5 frets worth of material...around 1 tops. And I'm doing what I can to even it out on the other side. I'm not even worried about reaching the really high frets that much. As long as I can get up around 15-17, I'm good. No finish yet either, so refinishing is not a problem
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead