COWlan
184 IQ
I'm really interested in learning some blues right now, and SRV is a good place to start, however his 20+ albums are just too much to grasp right now so can anyone tell me some of his best albums or songs so I can start learning.

P.S I'm trying to change from a hair metal addict to blues player right now, my friend's John Mayer CD convinced me to learn more blues.
dazmanrok92
Myth? No...yet
62 IQ
Texas Flood is good. crossfire is a good song as well.

if your looking for an easy song, try Mary had a little lamb.
totenkopfSG
224 IQ
sweet. congrats on expanding musical tastes.

for more SRV, i'd say check out Texas Flood for sure, or just for a jumping point, take a listen to any of the songs on any of his greatest hits cds

more plues to look at: bb king, bo diddley, zz top(so you can bridge between rock and blues), and even the black crowes for a more modern approach to the blues.
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
zerohero
toilet killa
186 IQ
man just about anything from srv but i suggest texas flood album and song, tin pan alley, pride and joy, aint gone n give up on love, cold shot.
Quote by THE PIT
OMG ZEROHERO UR THE MOST AWESOMEST DUDE EVER

InfeRno" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

:stickpoke
Ackj
UG Freak
1,208 IQ
Texas Flood is good stuff. He did an awesome cover of Little Wing too.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
dunkelblau
UG Newbie
246 IQ
Empty Arms
my goodness, that song is so much fun to play
along with lenny, house is arockin, Rude Mood(insanely fun on an acoustic, by the way)

many, many songs, but i suggest those
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
ynofaee12909121
202 IQ
I guess this has already been established but get Texas Flood.
And learn Lenny off of it it is the greatest
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man
2,962 IQ
if you are just starting i suggest the SRV essentials cd. its a double disc and has a lot of good songs and some live stuff as well. also i strongly suggest going on youtube and looking at his live videos. he's best live for sure. deffinatly check out the live from the el mocambo show. live at montreaux is great too. they keep taking down live from austin city limits clips though for some reason. but there are good songs there too. imo, i think you would learn more from his videos than from studio albums.
COWlan
184 IQ
Alright thanx guys. I'm more interested in learning blues phrasing and the approaches to improv for blues than actual blues songs but songs are the easiest ways to find the good solos.

I'm over the Malsteen, MAB and the million other shredders period now, although still addicted to Jason Becker, Satch and Vai. I guess I could consider that growing musically.
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy
627 IQ
Quote by COWlan
I'm really interested in learning some blues right now, and SRV is a good place to start, however his 20+ albums are just too much to grasp right now so can anyone tell me some of his best albums or songs so I can start learning.

Dude, what have I missed here?

In any case, the 'essential' would be debut 'Texas Flood'. That said, 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' is definately worth it, for the title track and 'Tin Pan Alley' alone, though the rest of the album is pretty awesome too.

My personal favourite though is the remastered edition 'In Step.' I'd definately reccomend that as a first album to be honest.
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
you should by now be getting the clear message that texas flood is a great place to start. that would be my recommendation too.

a couple of other great individual tracks are 'life by the drop' from 'the sky is crying' album, and 'life without you' from 'soul to soul'.

enjoy!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
XXXguitarman
28 IQ
Texas Flood. It's the first album anyone thinks of when you think of SRV.
Kartman
Samuel in da tub.
2,406 IQ
20 plus CD's? He's got like 5 or 6 studio albums and a couple live ones. I think Texas Flood shows his guitar-playing at his greatest.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
or, just get the El Mocambo DVD!!! IMO, one of the greatest performances by anybody of all-time.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
'Floods!'
223 IQ
'Couldn't Stand the Weather' is his most diverse, but my favourite is 'Soul To Soul'.
Buckethead and John Petrucci got into a shred batte. Petrucci went into world domination mode and melted Buckethead's face off. That's why Buckethead wears a mask.
striker327
4,929 IQ
Quote by ECistheBest
or, just get the El Mocambo DVD!!! IMO, one of the greatest performances by anybody of all-time.

+1 get any live performances you can. In my opinion SRV was 20x better live
Main Rig
Fender Standard Fat Strat +Warmoth neck + Texas Specials
Korg AX3000G
VOX AD100VT