So I've got some material and I want to start recording all of it. I read somewhere that it will be an epic failure without a pre-amp. So can someone tell me exactly what a pre-amp does and why I need one? sorry for sounding noobish, but I want to have a decent quality recording.
If you have a studio mic you'll probably need a pre-amp to amplify the noise before it goes into your computer or you won't be able to hear it (or it'll just be very quiet). If you use a computer mic or you just plug in the guitar from the amp to the computer you won't need one. I went through this last year and I ended up getting an EMU-0404 USB and it's fantastic ($220 Canadian, comes with recording software, it's actually just an external sound card meant for audio production). You may also want to look at similar M-Audio products in your price range as an alternative.
do u mean a mic preamp or a guitar preamp? if a mic preamp then yes u need one to amplify your mic signal enuff for ur recording software to recognize it. if its a guitar recording pre-amp like a rocktron prophesy then no, u can mic an amp, which i would recommend cuz u get truer tone, especially if u have a tube amp. hope that answers ur question
my shit>>>>www.myspace.com/buenostudios

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
what amp are u using?

you can line out or even better just mic ur amp and record it with ur computer.

a preamp can be nice to warm up some line in recordings, but it's not necessary in most cases. especially when ur just starting out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
what amp are u using?

you can line out or even better just mic ur amp and record it with ur computer.

a preamp can be nice to warm up some line in recordings, but it's not necessary in most cases. especially when ur just starting out.

I play on a Crate GTD 120
oh, well you can line out from the headphone jack or mic it with a quality mic, into the back of ur computer.

it might sound a little sterile. but try it first, see if u need to warm it up.

most of the time i record onto a digital recorder, but when im not micing my amps, ill go thru a $50 behringer mic200. even warms up vocals.
try it straight in first tho. see if it's good enough.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
So I've got some material and I want to start recording all of it. I read somewhere that it will be an epic failure without a pre-amp. So can someone tell me exactly what a pre-amp does and why I need one? sorry for sounding noobish, but I want to have a decent quality recording.

You dont need a preamp unless you are just micing a guitar cab but you also need other gear to go with it

easiest and best sounding way would be to get a toneport or a Mackie firewire interface.
They will take a mic and you can mic your amp with this setup to record with a computer.

Check my sig and the "Riffs and Recording" form as the "Guitar Gear & Accessories" is the wrong place to post for recording.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 29, 2007,