Well, I need new pickups for my Epi LP, but I am on a very tight budget, so I decided that Gutarfetish pickups are the way to go.

I need a tight, high output metal and shred sound, so I like the look of these, but I also need the occasional classic rock/blues tone, and I've heard that rails are bad for anything but modern metal, so I was also looking at these.

Now, that pickup would only go in the bridge, for the neck, and for playing clean, I was looking at this pickup.

I play through a DigiTech Bad Monkey into a Sunn T50C all-tube combo.

All opinions are much appreciated. Also, feel free to suggest other pickups, as long as the price for two doesn't exceed $70-$80 USD.
I put a set of the Vintage 59 in my Washburn LP copy. The sound is better than stock with about the same output. The Crunchy is close to the Super Distortion. The FAT PAF might also work.
I do have an Epi LP with a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and a Super Distortion in the neck. I also have a Bad Monkey going into a VJ half stack. Both guitars sound good, the Epi just has more balls with the hotter pups.
I wish I had known that the GFS pups where as good as they are, I would have saved a lot of money.
I have the Crunchy in the bridge position and a FAT PAF in the neck and both are WAY better than the stock pups i had, i use them with a digitech hot head pedal and a Marshall MG 15, i know crappy amp but it was in m budget range and over powered my bros drumming, but the crunchy is good with distortion and fat paf has a nice clean
a 15w mg overpowers you're bro's drumming? What's he using for sticks, uncooked spaghetti?

Hmm.... Get a power/crunchy rail for the bridge (i'd recommend power though), and a vintage 59 for the neck. Generally try and stay away from putting a crunchy or fat in the neck, they're too high output for blues. Plus, I've heard the '59s are the best buckers GFS has, and there's a few users here that use them and say they're pretty good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thanks for the replies guys. I was pretty much set on the '59 for the neck, it's just that if I ever wanted to play classic rock in the bridge, I wanted a pickup that could do that without sounding bad, but also able to do metal. I can always play that in the neck position though.

^Also, any particular reason you recommend the power rails over the crunchy? The site says use powers with a thinner sounding amp, and my amp is not thin sounding, it just needs the distortion tightened up.

So so far I'm going with power/crunchy rails for the bridge, and a '59 for the neck.
I recommend the power rails because it's more likely to be more balanced, whereas the crunchy looks like the dimebucker, which has a very bad reputation for being overly trebly. Also, i had the chance to hear a soundclip of the low output power rails in the bridge position.
It sounded awesome. Great metal tone, but I don't know how good it'd be at classic rock.
I'm just stating what i'd get. Maybe try asking jay at guitarfetish.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well I was doing some more research, and I found a clip of the Crunchies (couldn't find one for the Power rails though ):
http://media.putfile.com/Crunchy-Rails

They sound pretty nice to my ears, it's played through a Carvin Legacy I believe.

PinkEdit: I'm going to bed now, I'll check back in the morning.
Last edited by which ones pink at Aug 30, 2007,
I'd go with Crunchy PAF in the bridge (DiMarzio Super Distortion kind of tone as said before, that's the pickup most 80's rock bands used) and the '59 in the neck. You wouldn't really have any versatility with those rails IMO.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah, I knew I wouldn't have any versatility with rails, I figured I usually play blues in the neck position anyway, and always play metal in the bridge. And the PAFs are wound nearly as hot as the rails, plus they're designed to be wired for coil-splitting.

You've convinced me MrCarrot, the PAF sounds like a much better idea.
Yeah, or maybe a fat paf for the bridge. The fats use alnico magnets whereas the crunchys use ceramics.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, the pickups I have now are alnicos, and I need something with more output (they're Epi stock too, so they're pretty crappy) as I play more metal than anything else. And I figure with a coil split I can get the output down enough for classic rock. The PAF crunchys are kind of a bridge between rails and vintage, which is more what I was looking for.

You guys have all been a big help, thanks a bundle!