Im looking to have a dual amp setup with my 6505 and a laney gh50, i would like to be able to play via both seperately and at the same time to have a nice combinaiton of british clean classic gain amp with american dark brutal amp-how do i go about this?. Also is it possible at all to link up a 4x12 to 2 amps simultaneously?
Last edited by TroyMaclure at Aug 29, 2007,
A/b box my friend!

And yes it is! wait till someone who really knows Ohms to explain it
if its a stereo cab, but don't overload it, it would only be using 2 speakers per head
Quote by chris_kedro
if its a stereo cab, but don't overload it, it would only be using 2 speakers per head

how do i do it?
A lot of cabs have at least 2 inputs so you can run it in stereo. Do you have a manual for your cab? Itll be explained in that.
..also i need to run fx to both amps simultaneously..is it possble to put fx before the ab switcher or is there any problems with that?
anyone???

how do i run 2 into a 1960b cab and are there any problems running 2 amps together/or any [problems putting fx before the ab splitter to go to each amp
This could actually be both more complicated and more simple than you imagine. If you want to run both amps to a single input cabinet, then you will need some type of head switcher (there are several available). But for the sake of possibly ruining one/both heads in case of a malfunction, you may want to have the cab rewired for stereo operation with two inputs. You will need some type of switcher before the amp to select one or both heads. If you need all of your effects in front of the amp, then line them up with your switcher being the last in the chain.

However if you need any effects in the loop of both heads, then you will probably need to upgrade to a Midi switching system (or take salsa dancing lessons) in order to switch all the necessary things at once. Entry level Midi switching systems can be had for about $800 (Ground Control) plus whatever cables you need. Some of the more capable switching systems can run well over $1000 (SoundSculpture, Axess Electronics) and will require a good Midi controller (~$700 for the Rocktron, ~$800 for the Axess).

On the other hand, A/B and A/B/Y switchers are much less expensive and much easier to set up (though they tend to be less user friendly when it's all said and done). I've seen A/B switchers sell for as little as $50, and A/B/Y switchers sell for as little as $60. If you can afford it, try and step into a high quality switcher from a company like Lehle (~$160 for an A/B, and ~$250 for an A/B/Y) as the world is likely to end before one of their switchers gives out.

Things to consider:

1. Where do I need my effects?
2. Will I need to use both heads at the same time?
3. Is buying a second cab an option?
4. What is the total budget?
5. Will future rig additions necessitate drastic changes?
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
This could actually be both more complicated and more simple than you imagine. If you want to run both amps to a single input cabinet, then you will need some type of head switcher (there are several available). But for the sake of possibly ruining one/both heads in case of a malfunction, you may want to have the cab rewired for stereo operation with two inputs. You will need some type of switcher before the amp to select one or both heads. If you need all of your effects in front of the amp, then line them up with your switcher being the last in the chain.

However if you need any effects in the loop of both heads, then you will probably need to upgrade to a Midi switching system (or take salsa dancing lessons) in order to switch all the necessary things at once. Entry level Midi switching systems can be had for about $800 (Ground Control) plus whatever cables you need. Some of the more capable switching systems can run well over $1000 (SoundSculpture, Axess Electronics) and will require a good Midi controller (~$700 for the Rocktron, ~$800 for the Axess).

On the other hand, A/B and A/B/Y switchers are much less expensive and much easier to set up (though they tend to be less user friendly when it's all said and done). I've seen A/B switchers sell for as little as $50, and A/B/Y switchers sell for as little as $60. If you can afford it, try and step into a high quality switcher from a company like Lehle (~$160 for an A/B, and ~$250 for an A/B/Y) as the world is likely to end before one of their switchers gives out.

Things to consider:

1. Where do I need my effects?
2. Will I need to use both heads at the same time?
3. Is buying a second cab an option?
4. What is the total budget?
5. Will future rig additions necessitate drastic changes?

well im cool with all that but buying two 2x12s will be a bit more pricey. i think i will want to run both simultaneously because i dont get the dark death metal tones out of the laney and i cant afford a mark iv
Where do you live? Because if you're in the US, and you've got a laney GH, and a 6505, I think you'd be able to get a mark IV...

i've seen the radial headbone, but I doubt it would let you run two amps into one input at the same time. If anything, a stereo cab would be best.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Aug 30, 2007,
Quote by Reincaster
Where do you live? Because if you're in the US, and you've got a laney GH, and a 6505, I think you'd be able to get a mark IV...

i've seen the radial headbone, but I doubt it would let you run two amps into one input at the same time. If anything, a stereo cab would be best.

im in the UK.
Quote by TroyMaclure
im in the UK.

That would explain it. Anyways, your best bet would be to get a stereo cab, maybe trade in your current one for a stereo cab, and buy an A/B/Y switch for your two amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Just get another cab and save yourself the headache. Vintage 30's (which sound best with both heads imo) don't have a high enough wattage to handle a 6505 with just two speakers, so a stereo 4X12 wouldn't be a good idea for both heads.