If this doesn't make you respect John Mayer, I don't know what will...

If John Mayer stops writing kitschy pop songs and starts performing up to his potential, that, and that alone will make me respect him.

I actually didn't watch the link, but i assume it shows what we already know, the kid can play. But that doesn't make me like his music.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Who's John Mayer?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by iforgot539
If John Mayer stops writing kitschy pop songs and starts performing up to his potential, that, and that alone will make me respect him.

agreed, but he is trying to get more freedom. he needs to get to a point where he can do anything (like make good music) and people will still like it, because lets agree, this is his job and he needs money, and getting laid once or twice along the journey doesnt hurt either
That was good. I actually like some of his stuff, but as mentioned before by some other people, he could be really popular with more guitarists if he incorporated that sort of stuff into more of his songs.

He kinda looks like the guy from back to the future.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by iforgot539

+1,000,000

To TS,
very old video. Also, he's wearing two polo shirts with both collars popped. That warrants a lose of respect in my book.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by strq010
agreed, but he is trying to get more freedom. he needs to get to a point where he can do anything (like make good music) and people will still like it, because lets agree, this is his job and he needs money, and getting laid once or twice along the journey doesnt hurt either

I think that that's true, and that he matures as an artist, his songwriting will become more appealing to guys like me. At this point though, I don't enjoy it.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
I have a grreat deal of respect for any artist any genre that makes it to his level of "popularity"
(thats not the word I'm looking for but it will do). Anyone that puts up with all the bs to get there. That holds onto their dream long enough to make it gets my respect whether I like them or not.
I like John Mayer btw.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by civildp1
+1,000,000

To TS,
very old video. Also, he's wearing two polo shirts with both collars popped. That warrants a lose of respect in my book.

Wow judging a musician on how he dresses. 100 cool points for you
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i love his new album. theres not a whole lot of cheesy teen pop crap, much more from the heart and it's what he wants to write, and you can tell. granted the version of 'gravity' on the album is horrible. steve jordan produced the crap out of it.

i need to find the link for it...
but the live version of gravity that he's doing now is 10 minutes long, with the latter half being just this amazing jam. i'll go find it.
but that crossroads video is nice.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeRaUjTBuv0
got it.
Last edited by phoenix_88 at Aug 29, 2007,
Quote by iforgot539

I actually didn't watch the link, but i assume it shows what we already know, the kid can play. But that doesn't make me like his music.

I thought Continuum was a really good album though. I mean, it's a big step in the right direction for him, stylistically, but even if you look at it as a pop album it was a really good one. It was one of my favorites of 06.

And yes, he can rip, he's a really skilled guitarist, and I'm jealous. He's surrounding himself with the right people... Clapton of course is really influential on him lately, and he's been playing with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino, that can only make him sound better and better.

But, we always knew that he could rip.
John Mayer is fuuckin ace . I love his guitar playing, sure he has some faggot stuff, and for those of you saying he has too many pop songs, obvoiusly hhavent listening to him because alot of his songs are more like that video.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
I've always respected joh mayer as a player, but not a songwriter. He has so much more potential to write songs other than lame ****ty pop songs.
Quote by Derek <3's You!
I've always respected joh mayer as a player, but not a songwriter. He has so much more potential to write songs other than lame ****ty pop songs.
What's wrong with Pop Music?
John Mayer is very talented, that's for sure, but when he's playing, he really over does it with the faces. Take the video soul_power posted. Around the 00:40 mark, it looks like they could have used him in Awakenings.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
Yeah he looked like a tard back then in like '04.

He's gotten better, but he still dances weirdly.
Quote by pratt121
I thought Continuum was a really good album though. I mean, it's a big step in the right direction for him, stylistically, but even if you look at it as a pop album it was a really good one. It was one of my favorites of 06.

And yes, he can rip, he's a really skilled guitarist, and I'm jealous. He's surrounding himself with the right people... Clapton of course is really influential on him lately, and he's been playing with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino, that can only make him sound better and better.

Continuum is one of the best albums I own.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
really nice playing.
MBOX2 - PRO TOOLS LE 7.3.1 - CUBASE SX3 - REASON 4
ATTACK_DECAY_SUSTAIN_RELEASE_