i think it's just the natural oils/dust/dirt type stuff on your hands. Rub your hands together real fast, it's that stuff
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by J6strings21fret
But would you see THAT much skin build-up? In a 2 month span?

Some people perspire faster than others. There also other factors, like if you're playing on stage under hot lights. To cut down on gunk you can wash your hands before you play (or at least when you eat food) and wipe down the strings after you play.

Yeah.
they stay cleaner depending on how dirty your hands are when you use it
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
they stay cleaner depending on how dirty your hands are when you use it

That's what she said.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
1993 US Peavey Predator with Texas Specials
Crate Palomino V16
Boss OD-3
I always wash my hands before I play, it keeps me from sweating as much and I don't gunk up my strings as bad.

Certain brand's plain strings tend to rust and get really gunky very quickly as well (ernie ball) somehow their wound strings seem to last the longest...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by J6strings21fret
But would you see THAT much skin build-up? In a 2 month span?

You havent changed strings in two months. Oi vey...
My Gear

ESP/Ltd EC-1000 w/EMG 81/60
ESP/Ltd H-500 w/ JB/59 Duncans
Fender MIM Strat w/ Hot rail in Bridge

Traynor Custom Valve 80watt 4x10
Heres what you do...Gra a cotton cloth..something simple..like an old t shirt....wrap a bit around ur string and scratch it with your index finger and thumb...the stuff that comes off?...Gunk.

And yea quite basically...dirt on ur fingers which comes of when you slide over frets, sweat which stays on ur strings and ends up rusting it after a while all contributes to it...

Wanna get rid of it? Well quite simply...You cant. Its inevitable. Its gonna happen sooner or later what you can do however, is to delay it.

So. as several people mentioned wash your hands before you play thataway you atleast get rid of the dirt. And once your done playing...every single time you touch your strings get that same cottcloth (in fact keep one just for your guitar) and wipe your strings over once your done so that any sweat would go but dont only wipe the place you can see...wrap it around the strings individually and wipe wipe wipe.