What are they? Please help.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

The tritone is the flattened fifth interval, or the augmented fourth. It's three whole steps up from the starting pitch, or half an octave. It's a very evil sounding note, just go play it. If you know the riff to Black Sabbath, by Black Sabbath, on the album Black Sabbath, ( ) that's a tritone. It's also known as the devil's interval cos it's such an evil-sounding note.
a tritone is an augmented fourth.

its the fourth and seventh scale degrees of a major scale
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
b5 or aug4 (same thing).
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
overtones are weird... i don't really know how to explain it (and don't totally understand it myself)
a tritone is an interval.
the tritone is 6 half steps away from the root note, and is also known as an augmented 4th or diminished 5th...
it was considered 'the devil's interval' way way back when Bach and all those composers were writing music because well.. it doesn't sound pretty.

nowadays, it's used a ton. be it in metal, rock, jazz, country.
Cool thanks guys, I did try and yea it does sound pretty evil. Apparntly evil/minor souding music back in the days of Bach was considered bad and unorthdox.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

Overtones, are basically the tones above the fundamental. The fundamental is let's say 440 Hz, but when you pluck the A string on the guitar you're hearing the fundamental as well as set intervals above that note ringing out. The overtones above an open strings can be played as harmonics (12th fret=1 octave, 5th fret is 2 octaves etc.). Without overtones you would hear a sine wave which is impossible to achieve by natural means although, you can come close by playing two instruments absolutely perfectly in tune and the overtones cancel out and you get the sine. I think this is the technology used in noise cancelling headphones but I'm unsure.