Hi guys,
For those who care: yes I did use the search button...

So here I go: I have a Curbow bass which has a luhite body, and I was wondering what was the pros and cons of a luthite body. I searched a while on the internet and couldn't find any information. It seems to be quite light and it kinda gives good highs... That's all I know.

Anyone here knows the caracteristic of luthite bodies and/or necks? On guitar or bass, it doesn't really matters.

Thanks!
ZZZOMG!!!
FUZION

Quote by jimmy, the one
I haven't played anything except Master of puppets by Metallica
They're death metal arent they?

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
Wikipedia:
Luthite is a light-weight synthetic material developed by Cort Guitars for the construction of bass guitar bodies.

Luthite was developed as a substitute for wood, for as a synthetic composite material there is much greater control over the consistency of production. Additionally it is able to be formed to almost any shape, i.e. 3D shapes out of plane, where the wood equivalent would require a very large body blank or laminates.

The tone of luthite is different than many tonewoods, this may be seen as an advantage or disadvantage according to personal preference. It is best suited for slapping and popping on the bass. Whilst primarily used in Cort’s Curbow series basses, Ibanez EDB series basses and EDR/EXR series guitars are also made of luthite.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Luthite has a nice tone, to be quite honest. I played a five string Ibanez Ergodyne, and it was alright. Quite cheap as well. Neck was waaaaaaaaaaaay too thin though. My four string has a wider neck than that.

They recently stopped making Ergodynes out of Luthite and switched to wood. I guess its because of tonal issues?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
each to their own I guess.

i think they're trying to gear more toward metal and just a low rock sound because that seems to be the genre where Ibanez is selling the most of its gear to. Luthite must not have been the best choice for the thundering low sound.
I actually loved the thin neck of the Luthite Ergodyne. But like you said, to each their own.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by jsbassboy
i think they're trying to gear more toward metal and just a low rock sound because that seems to be the genre where Ibanez is selling the most of its gear to. Luthite must not have been the best choice for the thundering low sound.

No, that's right, it's mainly for slap/pop so it gives a really high and clear tone.
ZZZOMG!!!
FUZION

Quote by jimmy, the one
I haven't played anything except Master of puppets by Metallica
They're death metal arent they?

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
Quote by DayD
No, that's right, it's mainly for slap/pop so it gives a really high and clear tone.

question answered
Two necroposts in one day. Wow...

warned and closing thread. You could have posted in the Show off your bass thread btw.