i was jsut wondering, what would happen if you basically took a guitar and put bass strings on it and played thru a bass amp and vice versa,
given the nut and tuning pegs and bridge stuff you NEED would be changed, but like all the wiring and woods and pickups still made for guitar

has it been done either?
is it possible, and or a good(ish) idea
not that im going to do it

and vice versa

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Last edited by Narcotics at Aug 30, 2007,
i think the guy from limp bizkit uses a four string custom guitar with like..... two low F's.... i think thats kinda like what your asking...... but i think it would work
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
it wouldn't be as low as a bass due to the shortened scale, but besides that it would work
It all boils down to scale length. The shortened scale length would decrease string tension to an almost comic degree. The bass wouldn't intonate properly, either. Also, to get the thing working, you'd need a new headstock/neck for your new tuners, a new nut, a new bridge, some routing work, and new pickups.

Why the hell would you want that?

However, you can put guitar strings on bass (i.e. like octave strings of a 8-10 string bass).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Whell they make Picolo Basses that are tuned like the low 4 strings on a guitar, and fender makes a gutar that is tuned an octave lower.

To be honest though, if I could, I woudl get a super short scale bass (long scale guitar) and put some really heavy strings on it and make the SG bass from hell! (with some flatwounds, and a nice mute on the bridge.. oh baby...)
It has been done, my friend did it.

It sucked.

End of story.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^I think the Fender is discontinued.

Doesn't matter, it almost had a short scale neck. The scale was almost 5" longer than the scale of a Strat. I think it's still available as a Custom Shop reissue.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The only things you could possibly leave alone are the pickups and electronics, and I doubt guitar pickups would work for bass
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
To discount any queries here is my 1962 Burn Split Sound 6 String Bass one of only 200 made, the scale is standard guitar scale it also has a tremolo arm.
It plays in the normal Bass register and is tuned E A D G C F.
The strings have to be specialy made due to the short scale.
Attachments:
1962 Burns.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
To discount any queries here is my 1962 Burn Split Sound 6 String Bass one of only 200 made, the scale is standard guitar scale it also has a tremolo arm.
It plays in the normal Bass register and is tuned E A D G C F.
The strings have to be specialy made due to the short scale.

John Entwistle always complained about the lack of bottom he got from 'guitar like' basses (like the Bass VI) through vintage amplifiers. How the bottom end of yours?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
John Entwistle always complained about the lack of bottom he got from 'guitar like' basses (like the Bass VI) through vintage amplifiers. How the bottom end of yours?

The days when Entwistle was using the Fender 6 string bass there were very few dedicated Bass amps with a proper Bass orientated pre-amp; most of us used standard guitar amps for Bass, the major weakness though was in the speakers, 15/25 watts 12s, 35 watts 15s and 50 watts 18s most of them loaded into unscientific boxes. Most Bassists on the domestic circuit struggled for bass guitar volume in those days.
Even with the limited on board circuitry regarding Bass the Burns really is identical in frequency and sound to a standard Bass Guitar.
I've noticed a couple of guys on this forum from Sheffield, I live just outside in Dronfield where Rick Allan (Def Leppard) comes from, I was sat having a chat with Rick's father last night at a jam session run by Russ Dennet (ex Human League).
Why don't they come along and have a go at the tuesday night Jam session then they will be able to pass on their views plus it will be great to meet up with them.

Regards John
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
well i put bas strings on my les paul knock off haha, the e and the a strings sounded terrible, but the g and the d sounded amazing. i didnt have to buy a new headstock or bridge or anything cause everything fit. but ulitmatly it was just something to do while i waited for my bass to finally be shipped. it sounded like crap. dont do it. buy a bass haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful