So I'm looking at buying this nice Digitech bass pedal, but I was wondering if I would ever use it. I only know two songs that require distortion on bass, but you can get by with out it. So would you guys recommend buying a pedal for my bass, and if so which? What type of music do you use it for, I play mostly alt rock and math rock?
math rock??

haha
well
flea, and cliff burton used them
sand its all your style
jutin chancellor uses all sorts of effects all the time. if your writing your own material put it in there, its all up to you, if you dont find yourself in a position where you would use it alot, then dont waste your money i guess

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Yeah, I'm not really sure whether or not I would use it or not, so I was just wondering whether or not you guys do, and what you use them for pretty much.
i use them in for whom the bell tolls orion and all around the world and a couple originals and improve.
i dont even use it alot
i jsut LOVE bass distortion

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Yeah Around the World is one I play that I could use it for but you really only need it for the first two measures so it's almost not worth it.
I use distortion quite a lot, but if you don't think you'll make use of it, don't buy it. It's just one more thing between you and the speaker that can go wrong if you're a clean signal sort of guy.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Aug 30, 2007,
I use chrous and light overdrive effects basically all the time, no matter what I'm playing. But hey, it's not for everyone. Just work out what you want to sound like yourself.
Distortion's a pretty useful effect to have IMO. Never know when you might need it.

I don't recommend the digitech or boss bass distortions though (I own the boss) i'd suggest looking at something else depending on what sound you're after.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
Distortion's a pretty useful effect to have IMO. Never know when you might need it.

I don't recommend the digitech or boss bass distortions though (I own the boss) i'd suggest looking at something else depending on what sound you're after.

Blah. The ODB-3 gets far too much shit here. I use an Ibanez PD-7 and a Boss ODB-3, and love both. The trick to the ODB-3 is understanding that it isn't an "OD" pedal for vintage-esque drive. It's a dirty, fuzzy distortion pedal that will howl and roar. Treating it as such is the first step towards getting a good sound out of it.

Don't forget you can use a distortion pedal as a cleans boost too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Blah. The ODB-3 gets far too much shit here. I use an Ibanez PD-7 and a Boss ODB-3, and love both. The trick to the ODB-3 is understanding that it isn't an "OD" pedal for vintage-esque drive. It's a dirty, fuzzy distortion pedal that will howl and roar. Treating it as such is the first step towards getting a good sound out of it.

Don't forget you can use a distortion pedal as a cleans boost too.

I'm well aware of that, and believe me, i've had this thing for over a year and tried every setting under the sun. The 'dirty, fuzzy distortion which howls and roars' would be great if I could retain my low end, not lose all my clarity and note definition and not have it feedback to an insane degree.

On some nights, though, when all the planets are in line. And the Gods are smiling I get a half way decent sound out of it. But to me, it's not worth it.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
would be great if I could retain my low end, not lose all my clarity and note definition and not have it feedback to an insane degree.

How on earth do you manage to lose your low end on a pedal that has both a 2 band EQ and a wet/dry blend knob?

Ah well, to each their own.