Page 1 of 2
Hey UG!

I'm gonna buy an amp, and I wanna decide so I can get started sometime! I've wanted to start playing electric for so long now, and I feel the time is now.

My budget is up to 3000 euros (prefferably not over 2000, could go over it but then it must really be something!)

I like to play Hendrix, RHCP(!!!), Oasis, Hellacopters and also some Nirvana.

I play in my bedroom but since I got the house for myself most of the days, volume/size of the amp doesn't matter that much... besides, it's just cool with a big amp I think
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Aug 30, 2007,
3000 what, carrots? onions? mexicans?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Marshall JTM45 or a Super Lead (Plexi) head and an avatar cab.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ why get a vintage plexi with an avatar cab? you dont buy the ferrari and slap on some tires from the honda factory.
Quote by TehJermie
^ why get a vintage plexi with an avatar cab? you dont buy the ferrari and slap on some tires from the honda factory.

I couldn't think of any other cabs haha.

Fine then, get a Marshall 4x12 cab, or one of the vintage cab remakes.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
I couldn't think of any other cabs haha.

Fine then, get a Marshall 4x12 cab, or one of the vintage cab remakes.

The TS is Swedish, and if the 3000 units he's referring to are SEK, it's equivalent to about $600. Considering the price difference, he will be looking at an amp in the $400 segment.
For RCHP and Hendrix i find a my Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 works well tubed with Tungsol KT66's. The KT66's are very important in getting that tone because of the way they break up, and slight mid scoop they have.
^ you all just completely ignored the 3000SEK bit didn't you?

a Vox AD15VT or AD30VT is a great beginners amp
Sorry, I meant 3000 euros

And Tube
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Yeah, 3000 euros will get you something very nice. Of course tube in that range. I can't suggest anything other than a Superlead Plexi, but that's just my preference.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
What is that, a head? Marshall right?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
Sorry, I meant 3000 euros

And Tube

Hehe, so my SEK assumptions were wrong. Are you going to buy a new guitar as well? (since the only one you got in your sig is an acoustic)
Yeah I'm gonna buy a fender strat (I think an american strat 06), I saw a guy selling it used, but in fresh condition. If I won't buy that I will buy some other strat, maybe the VG one, it seems nice.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
ya a plexi will get you some nice hendrix tones. a jcm800 or if you can find a jubilee, i think frusciante uses some variation of that.

you can definetly get some sick boutique amps like park or blockhead i believe. im sure theyr making way better stuff now than what marshall has, like their RI stuff is not like all that its cracked up to be.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Isn't JCM800 like 100w? Atleast those I have checked. With those I have to put the volume up real high in order to get a good tune I've heard?

Speaking of that, will a smaller amp sound better at low volumes than bigger will?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
Isn't JCM800 like 100w? Atleast those I have checked. With those I have to put the volume up real high in order to get a good tune I've heard?

Speaking of that, will a smaller amp sound better at low volumes than bigger will?

A tube amp will sound better with the volume/gain turned up a bit, so 100W may be a bit of an overkill if you plan to use it at home.
Will it be an "overkill" or will it be worse?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Check out the Budda Superdrive series, Plexi-ish crunch with Vox cleans.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by The red Strat.

I really fell in love with this one http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/1974x/index.html

Like you mentioned. Seems perfect for "bedroom playin'"

EDIT: Haha, now I noticed your little red text in the bottom haha!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
you have about a million options. you're well into boutique territory there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i mean you have a load of options, including some super-amps. Your best bet is to hit up some local music shops (though obviously i don't know how good they are in sweden)... probably also hit up some of the more mature guitar forums, places like the gear page.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the gear page? okay, I'll try to find it and then check it out.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
if you are buying such a big amp for home practice, you will probabily also want a attentour (sp). so you will want to leave some money aside for that, you may also want some pedals
yoyoyuyo

Guitars.........................Amp.................Pedals (getting new)
Ibanez S470................Laney VC15.....Boss DS-1 (it's bad)
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez aw15 acoustic
Yeah, after that amp I can buy pedals too, was thinking of a DS-2 and a crybaby. That's about all I need.

EDIT: Isn't the amp pretty small? I thought it was 1x12
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Alright, TS, I know you won't listen to me, but I would like for you to at least consider my advice.

DO NOT, spend 2000 Euro on an amp, that is an absolutely insane amount of money for someone getting their first electric, even if you've been playing acoustic for decades.

If I were you, I would spend about 800 on a nice tube combo, then put the rest in savings. After a year of playing and learning you can go full out on your dream amp and maybe a new guitar, once you're sure what's right for you.

You may think you know what your style is, but you'd be amazed at how rapidly your interests can change, and you'll be screwed if you blow all your cash on a Marshall Stack (that will be much too loud for home use anyway) only to find out you love jazz and country.

-Hamish
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I sure understand what you mean, but I think I'm too tempted to follow your or my own wit.
Besides, it's an amp made for small gigs and home playing.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by MrCarrot
3000 what, carrots? onions? mexicans?

if i knew how to sig someone, i definitly would.
and 3000 euros is alot, you can buy like any amp you want, or get a 2 really nice amps
Good idea, I better sig that one lol
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Lol too late now
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
But okay, go to "control panel" when you're out here on the forum, it should be about 1 Cm above the "POST REPLY" button, then you'll find it from there. Good luck!

EDIT: This took too much on my conciense, I'll let you have the sig
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Page 1 of 2