i play on .10's and when i play my friends guitar or guitars in the store the strings r pretty damn thin and i think its hard to get a grip and that kind of stuff

wat does ug think
My Gear:

Jackson King V KVX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III HD75, Line 6 Spider III 4x12 Cabinet
Marshall MG30DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Thin strings like 10s on the top and 52s on the low e. 60 or 65 on my low B when i can
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I switched over to .10's on my guitar not too long ago. And I played the stock strings for so long, i was used to playing on those.

So for me, thin.
whatever you're accustomed to really. I've always played 9's but I have 11's on my les paul, i can play either fine with no real difference in ability
I use 9's on all my electrics, and 10's on my Acoustic.
My old guitar teacher used to say go for the lightest gauge you could get. I can't remember his reasoning though.
I don't play any better or worse on either guitar, or any other guitar with a higher gauge string. But it sure feels weird playing on something with a higher gauge. As people have said, it's just what I've become accustomed too.
I have to string my electrics with different guages depending on the scale length of the neck to be really comfortable. For instance I bought 2 packs of Dunlop 10's to test them out as they ran out of D'addarios and only had slinkies and the Dunlops. I have a dislike for how fast slinkies rust so the Dunlops it was.

My PRS liked the Dunlops and I get quite a low tension making faster stuff and bending nice and effortless. I didn't even have to make any adjustments to get the guitar properly intoned or on the trem which was a pleasant surprise indeed.

My ESP however was a different story as its scale length is longer it made the same strings quite a bit more taught. Its not unplayable by any means nor does it hamper my ability but its certainly more effort. Il probably try the 9's on the ESP next time I go to the guitar store near me.

If I decide to concentrate my practice on finger strength i tend to up the guage by a few from say a 10 to a 12 just so things like bends become hell to play right. After a few weeks playing heavy strings I then go back to my normal guage to find everything has become incredibly easy to do.
Last edited by halikus at Aug 30, 2007,
I usually use 10s, I've used 9s a couple of times, and Im using 11's right now, 10's are probably my favourite although these 11's feel good - but I think they may warp my neck cause Its set for 9s.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I use .11's on my Gibson SG, tuned to Standard and sometimes Drop D.
I use .10's on my Fender Mustang, tuned Standard.
I'm setting up my Ibanez Prestige with .10's, tuned a whole step down from Standard.

It kinda depends on what I'm playing. The Gibson SG is fairly versatile, but I use it mostly for hard rock, stuff like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc. the Mustang I use for Blues and Alternative Rock / Soft-Rock style stuff, and the Prestige is for Metal, I use it for Alice in Chains also, since I cover them a lot, but I usually use it for really heavy and fast stuff.

I don't like very thin strings...
I have 13's on my S520EX in Drop C and since i started playing my Apex2 7 string i am starting to prefer 10's with a thick 12 guage low B

(y)
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
i use 11s on my les paul and strat. 13s on my acoustic. and 12s on my es-175 for jazz.
I have .10's on my Cort and .12 to .56. on my strat for playing SRV type things.

It's much easier to play with the .10's but the .12's sound much nicer.

It's a pain playing guitars in stores. The strings feel like floppy rubberbands.
My Gear:
Cort X-9 w/ Super Distortion+Air Norton, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Wah
Right now, I use 11-50s on my Les Paul and 10-46 on my Washburn. I'm hoping to get some 10-52s on my LP thought (Dave Mustaine's GHSs).
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
i like playin on .10's used to play on .9's but even that small difference was a huge boost when it came to comfort of the strings so now its .10's
Quote by xatz
I use 9's on all my electrics, and 10's on my Acoustic.
My old guitar teacher used to say go for the lightest gauge you could get. I can't remember his reasoning though.

maybe he thought you were tony iommi? It's heavies all the way for me, u can't "chug" without them IMO.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Before I did a show where there was a lot of string bends in the song, I switched to 9's so I could bend easier, but now I like 10s. Nice rich tone and good feel.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
i like the top 3 strings to be pretty slinky, for bends and such. But I prefer ti have a heavier gague on the bass strings, cos i can pick faster on tighter strings, and they have the better chunkiness.
I love the feeling of flying over thin strings. .8's are way too thin, never going to play them though.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
The thickest I've palyed are .10s...then I bought my HSS with .9s on it and fell in love. So since they're both thin I guess I like thins.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I like 10's the best. I use them on my electrics and acoustics. I like the tone of 11's a little more, but I can bend a little easier on 10, so I stay there. I can play on lighter gauge, but it takes a while to get used to.
Thins, always.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I've never noticed a difference in terms of my playability with 9's, 10's and even 11's. Never had any trouble with technique. I think it just depends on preferred tone and tuning. With 11's I feel like I'm playing a bass though
I'm a fan of 10's. Right now I have 11's on my strat, and I absolutely hate them. They make bending too difficult for my liking.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
For my style and hands I use .08's. I bend all over the place, push bends, pull bends, combination bends (sometimes three or more strings, even a whole chord.) I like the thinnest necks with the lowest action.
I use 0.8s

I just find them easier to move on and its so much easier to tune my floyd
i use 9-42s on my Jackson and Musicman, 10-46 on the rest.. just depends on the guitar is what i use, i found my Jackson sounds better with 9s then 10s..
10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46...whee Ernie Ball Reg. Slinky...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
i use 12z on my strat for drop c and b but there good with stnadard to
imo thin strings r better for soloing cuz ive tested it out that thinner strings r good for stuff like tapping n the thicker ones r good for heavy riffs
.9's I like the thinner strings.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows