I have an Ashdown Fallen Angel 212, and I love its tone. However, it can't really produce that much of a heavy distortion. I'm looking for a tone similar to Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage and In Flames, how would I achieve this?

Should I buy a distortion pedal (a metal muff or something) or get a tubescreamer and use it as a boost for my amps distortion? Recommendations would be appreciated.
i always thought the FA had plenty of gain. my advice would be to buy an OD and a distortion pedal from www.thomann.de (30 day money back guarantee) see which you prefer the sound of then return the one you don't want. 90% of people here will say go for an OD and about 25% of those people are just hopping on a bandwagon. I would go OD, but it's all preference, some people would prefer a top notch distortion pedal for high gain.

here's something worth looking into though

http://www.thomann.de/gb/visual_sound_jh1_jekyllhyde.htm

decent overdrive and decent distortion in one pedal
Quote by treflip
I have an Ashdown Fallen Angel 212, and I love its tone. However, it can't really produce that much of a heavy distortion. I'm looking for a tone similar to Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage and In Flames, how would I achieve this?

Should I buy a distortion pedal (a metal muff or something) or get a tubescreamer and use it as a boost for my amps distortion? Recommendations would be appreciated.

If you're looking for In Flames tone, I will say they don't use any OD/DIST pedals. It's strictly 5150 w/ a v30 loaded cab, and some EQ'ing after everythings all said and done. This is their live tone I'm talking about.

I guess I would try something like...

Treble 6 - 6.5
Mids 4
Bass 8.5
Gain to taste
Presence around 2-3 o'clock

An EQ in the loop will do A LOT more for you than most od/dist pedals will. I'd suggest trying one out. Also, if you have any OD/DIST pedals that don't color the sound all that much, try running one out front just as a level boost. Will probably tighten up your sound.
Quote by Colony5150
An EQ in the loop will do A LOT more for you than most od/dist pedals will. I'd suggest trying one out. Also, if you have any OD/DIST pedals that don't color the sound all that much, try running one out front just as a level boost. Will probably tighten up your sound.

+1

There's actually quite a bit of gain there, it's just that the voicing isn't really particularly good for metal tones...an EQ will sort that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by treflip
Which EQ pedals should I be looking at then?

If you can afford them, the Boss GE-7 or MXR 10-band.

If you're on a tight budget, danelectro fish n chips, though it's hissy when you use a power supply.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music