I have no problems with Tapping, Sweeping, Alternate Picking and legato etc but i cant seem to get the right shred tone on my Jackson Rhoads RR3, i have a boss metal core pedal. What settings are best for shred?
You're going to need alot of mids and a fair heft of treble. Quite alot of gain too.

Clarity of picking is essential hense the mids.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
He knows what hes talking about.

if you cant play it on clean, cleanly, its probably going to sound like crap with gain/distortion.

The pedal you have also isnt awesome, i used to have one. I wasnt digging in it, every sound i got out of it was so dry. Do you have an EQ on your amp, or do you use the one on the pedal? that is, if we are talking about the same pedal.
Yeah, you should practise clean too.

Oh yeah, neck pickup too. Forgot to mention that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Depends on what kind of shred tone you're after. If you compare shredders like Yngwie, Vai and Gilbert, their tones are quite different. Just don't try to emulate Rusty Cooley's tone. Yuck.
Up to your taste of tone. If you can't play it really sharply, delay+sustain+reverb and stuff tend to muddle up your sound even worse. Shred generally sounds better when its not a muck, so stick to cleaning up your technique and going for a cleaner sound.
i'd have thought the pedal is probably the problem. what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd have thought the pedal is probably the problem. what's your amp?

+1 Get a good amp and/or pedal and the come back, the Boss Metal core isn't a very good one really.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
try setting your amp: bass up all the way, treble up all the way, mids all the way down. slowly experiment turning the mids up a little, and the bass and treble down, until it blends perfectly. Metallica records and plays live with their amps set with the mids down completely. and this has worked best for me.
Quote by TylerCasket
try setting your amp: bass up all the way, treble up all the way, mids all the way down. slowly experiment turning the mids up a little, and the bass and treble down, until it blends perfectly. Metallica records and plays live with their amps set with the mids down completely. and this has worked best for me.

I have no idea where this came from as Metallica have nothing to do with shred. For shred a good tone would be to have a really good amp and that's about it; you need to develop your own tone for it because shred doesn't have one archetypal tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TylerCasket

Metallica =/= Shred. Metallica was Thrash Metal.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by Silky Smooth
You'd never hear a thing live using that kind of amp setting

Seconded. The guitar is the mids section of a band mainly. That's where the majority of your sound cuts through. If you have it scooped you're competing with the bassist who will simply drown you out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica

Oh yeah, neck pickup too. Forgot to mention that.

I wouldn't say that as a generalisation, only Petrucci spends most of his time on the neck pickup, and then that's only for speed picking parts, most of the time.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
I wouldn't say that as a generalisation, only Petrucci spends most of his time on the neck pickup, and then that's only for speed picking parts, most of the time.

I tend to find it softens up those solo shredding parts high up the neck...get rid of the spike in ear sound you can end up getting using the bridge.

But yeah, it's personal preference.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
I tend to find it softens up those solo shredding parts high up the neck...get rid of the spike in ear sound you can end up getting using the bridge.

But yeah, it's personal preference.

True it makes a very smooth sound if you're clean enough picking wise, but sometimes I like to do a rake and then a bend to whatever the root note is, in which case, I'd want the bridge for that "schrrm----rowwww!" sound
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Im trying to get the Malmsteen tone. Thank you for posts guys!
The Metal Core (ML-2) has a very sucky tone. I recommend using a Digitech Death Metal for the shred tone.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
I recommend using a Digitech Death Metal for the shred tone.

D;
Quote by sTx
The Metal Core (ML-2) has a very sucky tone. I recommend using a Digitech Death Metal for the shred tone.

i recommend neither, especially if you want a malmsteen style tone. TS you still havent told us your amp yet have you?
shred has no particular tone,you just work on one that sounds sweet and use it!

of course,youll need better gear
Quote by Kurapica
You're going to need alot of mids and a fair heft of treble. Quite alot of gain too.

Clarity of picking is essential hense the mids.

+1

also you may want to invest into some dimarzios? but yeah as this guy said your picking needs to be very clear.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by TylerCasket

never scoop your mids when you're gonna play lead/solos. Unless you dont want to be heard
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
just make it so all the notes you play can be heard clearly, without hurting your ears
My band: Take No Prisoners

Quote by Magero
Terrifying. Makes me glad I'm a satanist and a metal-head. I may be going to hell, but I got kick-ass music.