can someone help me out here and give me a few do's and dont's.

i dont know much about tuning, rebalancing the unit etc.
ive just got my new jackson warrior with a floyd rose and would really appreciate some advice on taking good care, changing the strings etc.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
well... the nut was unlocked when i got it and the guitar was in standard..
so i tuned it down to drop c using the machineheads, locked the nut, it went a bit out so i fine tuned it using the fine tuners lol.

and one thing that im confused it about.. if i unlock it, can i play it like standard guitar without effecting the balance of the tremolo?
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Last edited by 11thHour at Aug 30, 2007,
Originally Posted by SAOUAM
Ok...you tell me to touch your boobs, then you file sexual harrassment...you slut

I don't have one, but i hear these things are evil.
glad you know

there is a thread in the guitar & bass basics on re-stringing so try reading through it
but if i did unlock the nut, and played without the floyd rose and retuned the top string regurally would it effect the tremolo?
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by 11thHour
but if i did unlock the nut, and played without the floyd rose and retuned the top string regurally would it effect the tremolo?

no it wont however if you use the floyd rose trem without locking your nut, your tuning will change
Don't simply tune without adjusting the springs in the back. It can cause your strings to buzz and/or break.

Remove the whammy bar when you put it away

When you tune, restring or do anything that requires tuning, make sure that you tune from the machine heads and leave the fine tuners at the mid-point so you can tune back and forth either way.

Tune the Low E first, then the A, then tune the D, Check the E again, then check the A. Keep moving forward like this.

When you change strings, especially if your using high gauges in standard, keep a hand on the string right on the bridge so that the string doesn't pop out.

Use the nut-locks. They help give tuning stability and if you push down on the trem while palm muting etc with the locks off, your guitar will slowly detune.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
oooh, i just a got a jackson warrior as well! a black WRX10 or whatever the model is called, u liking it? the neck feelsl like butter XD.
PSN: Noverion
When ever you change string gauges, or tune it different, you're going to need to change the springs in the back every time to make it float right and to keep it in perfect tune.

I'd stick with a certain tuning, I would stay with Standard tuning otherwise it's a hassle to change it around all the time.

Do this to make it float right.

1. Get a flat object like a spoon.
2. Lift your tremolo bridge up
3. Put spoon under that gently so it rests on the spoon.
4. Tune your guitar whatever way you want and lock it down at the nut.
5. Take the Spoon out.
6. If your Floyd Rose sinks back into the guitar after you take the spoon out, it means the springs in the back are too strong, lower the tension in the back.
7. If your FR goes up too high that means the springs are too weak, tighten the springs in the back.

The goal is, after you lock down the strings at the nut you want your tremolo to be slightly above the spoon. You can do this by adjusting the springs in the back of the guitar. If it's pulling down on the spoon, don't take it out because you could scratch the paint. Make sure it's slightly floating above the spoon. That means it's perfect.

Everything to tune it differently the whole Floyd Rose will be screwed up. You'll have to adjust the springs each and every time differently.

When you change strings, do this:

1. Put spoon under bridge ( or something strong and flat)
2. Take all the strings out and make all the precission tuners equal in the middle so when you tune it later, they won't fall out or be stuck at the bottom.
3. Put all the strings in.
4. Tune it.
5. Lock it in.
6. Tune it again with the bridge (Precission) tuners.
7. The Strings will need to be stretched, Don't use the floyd Rose because you might damage the strings. Just do bends, pulls ETC. and try to make it go out of tune by doing that. It'll stretch the strings out. You're constantly going to tune it. You might have to wait about 3 days for them to be perfectly stretched and can use the FR 100%

When tuning do it from the High E to the Low E (backwards) it seems to work better that way.

That's all you should need to know.
Last edited by nan0 at Aug 30, 2007,