So i just got washburn number one in the mail and the restoration process is well on its way. problem with the paint, it looks like some guy sprayed like windex on it, and it dried. now the stains come off if i scratch them, so i know they are merely on the surface, but thers way to much to scratch all of them. could i lightly scrub it with like an SOS pad or something of the sort without suffing the clearcoat?
just get a paper towel and get it wet, ring it out, and wipe it off............or spray it with guitar cleaner and wipe it off.....make sure you go back over it with a dry paper towlel to dry it or it will look the same
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
scratches and dings give a guitar character, 7 months ago, i got a fender american strat HSS, beautiful paint job, for the first few weeks i treated it like a baby, however after playing a few shows i realized that i had to pretty much accept the abuse it will have to endure. but how happy will i be 20 years from now, when it looks worn, all from me. the point is, as long as your not destroying the guitar, let it take a few scratches, a few dings, some mysterious marks, its what makes it your guitar.

i mean, unless your someone who likes everything they have immaculate, but my views just another way you can look at it, its all up to you really.
i am proud of every semen stain on my guitar. Every single one has a story to tell
^lol, try a VERY fine grit steel wool, the kind you use to polish like frets and stuff.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
i got it all off, covered my guitar in nail polish remover. that **** is whats up when it comes to cleaning guitars, everyone is all like OMGZ ITS GUNA TAKE YOR PAINT OFF?!?!!!

just wax on wax off, and no troubles.
Seriously?
I once ****ed up the laquer on a hardwood with nail polish remover :/
I would never have recommended it for use on a guitar, but good for you if it worked.
Nail polish remover is abrasive and can easily leave imperfections. I wouldn't be suprised if you did have a few extra hairline scratches not there before.

A simple polishing compound with a terry cloth would have done the trick without leaving imperfections. Regardless, it's good to hear you got it all sorted out.

Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
^Then rubbing compound should do the trick. It's more abrasive than polish, but not so much as nailpolish remover and it doesn't act as a solvent. Afterwards polish and it will be good as new. You might even notice less scratches than before.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
They're dime a dozen and it doesn't really matter which you choose. Some will point towards a certain brand and others will stay away from some. From the few I've used in the past, I've found no difference between brands.

I personally use 3M rubbing compound as I have a large stock of it from a previous project.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH