Hey, as the title says string skipping is something i really want to improve on but i have no idea of what would make a could string skipping exercise

I mean i can make something with just alt picking but i have no strong examples to follow for it, so can anyone forward any resources or something? Or how did you master string skipping?

Also this is probably jut a random question, but how long did it take you to both train your last 2 fingers up to speed and then coordinate it with high speed picking?
Scarified by Racer X has a nice string skipping lick after the main riff. I guess most Paul Gilbert tunes feature some string skipping, actually.
The intro to Damnation Game by Symphony X is a great practice lick, depending on how good your chops already are. It's 16ths at about 145, only two strings are involved. There's another great lick that you can find on youtube if you just search Paul Gilbert String Skipping.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by philipisabeast
Hey, as the title says string skipping is something i really want to improve on but i have no idea of what would make a could string skipping exercise

Well, pretty much anything. After all, all you do is skip strings. So take your basic C Major scale or whatever you like, take notes from it from different strings and build licks that way. Just to get you started check out this post: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10416184&postcount=8 I put there some of Paul Gilbert's licks.

I mean i can make something with just alt picking but i have no strong examples to follow for it, so can anyone forward any resources or something? Or how did you master string skipping?

First you need to be comfortable with alternate picking then you can move to string skipping. Do you need resources for alternate picking or string skipping?
I'm using "Lashed To The Slave Stick" by Nile to improve my string skipping. Quite basic, but I find it's a really good exercise.

I'm also experimenting with a new technique where I use both my pick and a picking finger to help the transition between strings.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
^ Hybrid picking, maybe?
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
^ Probably, lol

I'll go and look it up.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
simply just look at the scale you are in, and mess around with skipings strings, there are no set rules besides you have to skips strings to have it be strings skipping....duh
Quote by kyrreca
Scarified by Racer X has a nice string skipping lick after the main riff. I guess most Paul Gilbert tunes feature some string skipping, actually.

That same lick can be sweeped, though it sounds sloppy and garbled if you don't do it right, as is the case with all sweeping riffs and licks
hue
There is a really good string skipping exercise in a recent guitar world that Steve Morse uses. When I get home, I'll tab it out for you.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Fancy putting a link in this thread?
Quote by Liberation
Yes, if you could do that it would be great. I am also trying to improve my string skipping. Ive been practicing with the part in Pull Me Under by DT around 2:40