I got an Ibanez RG350 a few days ago and i like it alot but i just noticed, that when i hit say the first string on the guitar , the 5th and 6th strings vibrate just barely, but its quite annoying when im using a distortion that picks up those vibrations and i have to mute them out continuosly, anyone know why they might be vibrating even though i am not touching them?
If by the first string you mean the one lowest from your body (because that is correct), then you should be muting the fifth and sixth strings anyway, to stop any cause of unwanted noise, if you mean the other way round, then I don't know.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Im a begginner at guitar and ive been teaching myself everything, i dont know what harmonic resonation is nor do i know what symbathy for the first string is could you explain? and how can i stop it?
You do realise sympathy was a sarcastic comment? And I don't think it's harmonic resonation, and I doubt he knows what that it either...
--
did you get your guitar at a shop or something? maybe they could explain it
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by J.MitMetallica
You do realise sympathy was a sarcastic comment? And I don't think it's harmonic resonation, and I doubt he knows what that it either...

Sympathy may have been sarcasm but it was close to what the answer probably is.

It's something called sympathetic vibrations, the idea is that a thing vibrating at one frequency can start other things vibrating at the same frequency, or in this case 2 octaves down, the best thing to do (and you should be doing this anyway) is to mute the lower strings.

Edit: dammit, someone else got there first.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i wasn't really being sarcastic, i was referring to sympathetic vibrations, and trying to be funny at the same time. :/
I realize my post may have been less than helpful to the TS, hence the Wiki link
Was funny tho
--