Im in a band right now that i really like. Problem is the other guitarist is really annoying and lacks commitment. I also find myself questioning his ability. He wants to buy a marshall mg because its loud :/. Anyway. He never practises guitar and always shows up to practice with a badly tuned peice of junk guitar. Whats more is when i leave practice, he bitches about me saying my tone sucks and I wasnt letting him or the bassist try to come up with new ideas coz i kept playing over them (which i wasnt). I reeeeeally want to kick him out the band, but the problem is, its not my decision. Our drummer is really good and i enjoy playing with him but he doesnt share the same hatred for this other guy like I do. They are good friends so when I try to say I dont like him, then he gets annoyed with me and says were not kicking him out the band. This really frustrated me coz I dont want to be in the same band as this guy coz I really think he is holding us back.

Does the UG community have any advice on how I can kick this guy out, without annoying my drummer. Id like him to leave on his own accord somehow. Id much prefer it though if he just died.
Ah, that's a really bad situation. I'm not happy with the bassist really so I can appreciate what you mean.

You've got a couple of options:

- Talk to the drummer about starting a second band.
- Talk to the kid and ask him to show abit more dedication and listen to your ideas.
- Leave the band, cut the kids guitar strings and set fire to his parents.

I'd contemplate the second one most. Then the first. Maybe just do the third for kicks.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I was understanding up to the death part. Now I think you're a phsycho.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
yo. ive kicked out about 9 musicians from my bands. just be like hey bro, you just arent for this. you arent committed, you dont think with your head, and you havent proven to us that you really even give a sh1t about the band. if you want back in, take a few weeks to get your head straight, think **** over, and well audition you.
Quote by Kurapica
Ah, that's a really bad situation. I'm not happy with the bassist really so I can appreciate what you mean.

- Talk to the kid and ask him to show abit more dedication and listen to your ideas.

I'd contemplate the second one most. Then the first. Maybe just do the third for kicks.

QFT.

Talking to the person in question should always be your first choice in situations like this, if that doesn't work out then go for things like removing the member in question.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Go ahead and play with them (if you can stand it) and network around for another band to join. Sound and play the best you can under the circumstances. If you sound good and know your stuff someone may come to you. Go to other band's gigs and talk to the players. Find places where guitar players hang out and meet people. It doesn't sound like this one dude is the total problem. Some bands last for years under similar circumstances but the chances are your band will not last long anyway.
Have you discussed this with your drummer? I know you say he doesn't share the same sentiments as you but have you sat him down and shared your concerns with him? Being that the drummer seems to have a greater influence over him then you yourself and since you seem to be on good terms with said drummer, you may be able easily pursuade him to your point of view. I don't think you'll get him to agree to boot the guy but you may be able to convince him to atleast try to get the guy to recognize his shortcommings and then attempt to circumvent them.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
or maybe, he's better than you, and you dont want to admit it?

alternatively, use this band up, join a new band, spit them out. then cut their cables.
Quote by blair30
one time i got so frustrated with him i threw a drum stick at his guitar and put a big dent in it.

kurapica I like your way of thinking. ill cut his cables too.

hmm, I'd kick you in the teeth if you did that to my guitar. Pot calling the kettle black?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
one time i got so frustrated with him i threw a drum stick at his guitar and put a big dent in it.

You had my sympathy until you wrote this. Now I think that you should own part of the "problem", too.

Learning to work with difficult people is an invaluable skill that will serve you no matter what you choose to do in life. I strongly recommend that you try working it out with the guitarist, privately, first. If that doesn't work, then consider telling the rest of the band how strongly you feel about working with this person. I liked the advice above that suggested you talk to the drummer about how best to communicate with this guy, since he seems to be the drummer's friend.

If the rest of the group don't want to go in "your" direction, take the high road, find a classy way out of the band without totally burning your bridges, and find other people to play with. Messy endings will come back to bite you in the end -- the world is too small, and life is too short!
Quote by Kurapica

I'd leave the band in this guys position, and possibly start a second one with the bassist and drummer.
Sit down and have a Dr Phil-esque conversion with him. Try to reason with him.make him realise what you are going through. Get to know him. Or you could throw his ass out and if he comes back get a restraining order.
Are you freinds with the bassist? If you are, ask him what his opinion is, and if he shares your opinion, then both of you go to the drummer and tell him. Don't be like, we hate this guy, he's gotta go, but tell him you think he's not committed. If the drummer and the bassist both like the other guitarist, then I'd say leave the band.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by LP Addict
yo. ive kicked out about 9 musicians from my bands. just be like hey bro, you just arent for this. you arent committed, you dont think with your head, and you havent proven to us that you really even give a sh1t about the band. if you want back in, take a few weeks to get your head straight, think **** over, and well audition you.

are you dave mustaine?

to the threadstarter...how commited are you willing to be towards your band. enough to sweat this guy out till he makes a major mistake?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Talk to the kid and tell him to shape up, if he doesn't then talk to the members of your band. Tell them its either you or him. If they pick him, then they won't make it as a band and will beg you to come back.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well what amp do you play? Unless it's something very bad, let him buy his MG and he can see how he sounds in light to you LOL.

Secondly, let him not practise, but practise twice as hard yourself. Play circles around the guy give him a reason not to come back, without using any words at all
maybe you are the one who should get out of the band, if you really think he should die, then you should also see someone...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Sounds like you don't have any juice in the band, so you only have two options. You either leave or try and work with the dude. You're perfectly justified in questioning his work ethic, but how much can you rag the dude for his gear? Do you think he has crappy gear because he has lots of money and simply chooses not to buy quality stuff? Sometimes you have to work with what you have. Bitching at the dude all the time that his tone sucks is a waste of energy and quite petty.
wtf, it only bothers one other person that he threw a drumstick at the other guitarist because he was annoyed with him, and dented his guitar? That's the actions of a spoiled primadonna. I don't care how much better you think you are than him, or how much better you think your gear is, you don't have the right to disrespect someone like that. The drummer doesn't want to hear you bitch about him, you've already established that, and I don't blame him. Get out of the band and form your own, you sound like a joy to jam with.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
wtf, it only bothers one other person that he threw a drumstick at the other guitarist because he was annoyed with him, and dented his guitar? That's the actions of a spoiled primadonna. I don't care how much better you think you are than him, or how much better you think your gear is, you don't have the right to disrespect someone like that. The drummer doesn't want to hear you bitch about him, you've already established that, and I don't blame him. Get out of the band and form your own, you sound like a joy to jam with.

thats true man, you cant just throw drum sticks at a persons guitar, what if he was anoyed with you? I bet you would not want him to throw anything at your guitar. but if you threw something at any guitar that I own, as cheap as it can be, I would either make you pay for a fix or dent yours no matter how much "better" it is...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Ya dude that throwing of the drum sticks wasn't cool. I would honestly just leave if I were you. A band ain't a band if no one can get along.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by Erock503
wtf, it only bothers one other person that he threw a drumstick at the other guitarist because he was annoyed with him, and dented his guitar? :

Oh yes, if someone dented any of my guitars, I'd trash them. Hard.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay