hello,

please can anyone reccomend a small tube amp no more than say about 30 watts that sounds crystal clear that cuts thru so u can every single note and sounds nice and warm at the same time that would be cool! wouldnt it!

i suppose its got alot to do with how u set the eq aswell

thanks in advanced
Some form of Laney, he's used Laneys for nearly his whole career, I think he's go a lot of treble but PGs tone has a lot to do with his picking style as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah he used laneys, but now uses marshall vintage modern. I find he also uses single coil a lot?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
Quote by Stooja
yeah he used laneys, but now uses marshall vintage modern. I find he also uses single coil a lot?

I've never seen him use a single coil pickup, in fact a few of his more recent customs only have one humbucker in the bridge, the key is that he uses a lot of presence in his tone, it's relatively low gain compared to a lot of shredders and his picking is absolutely flawless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I've never seen him use a single coil pickup, in fact a few of his more recent customs only have one humbucker in the bridge, the key is that he uses a lot of presence in his tone, it's relatively low gain compared to a lot of shredders and his picking is absolutely flawless.

He uses them quite a bit these days. He has a red Ibanez RG that he has a single coil in the neck and his new prototype PGM has a HSS setup too.

Quote by s1kth
30 w is small compared to my 100 watt!!

If your 100w is a solid state amp, a 30w valve amp would kick its ass. Irrelevant though, as 30w valve is all anyone EVER needs.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by s1kth
haha marshall jcm is no solid state

Ah you posted like a split second before me. I'm aware that a JCM isn't solid state.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Well I think you should go for the soldano Astroverb! Really nice sounding amp!

Whats your budget anyway?
Quote by Kurapica

If your 100w is a solid state amp, a 30w valve amp would kick its ass. Irrelevant though, as 30w valve is all anyone EVER needs.

Well...30 watt's is all you need, but sometimes you need that high gain power for certain styles of music.. But thats another argument

What pickup does Gilbert use as his single coil?
Paul's tone is quite achievable with any decent British voiced tube amp e.g Laney VC series combos or the Orange Rocker combos.

He has increasingly been using single coils on his guitars, but they are in no way part of his sound from his Mr. Big and Racer X days. He does often use the "mixed" positions (2 & 4) along with rolling back the volume on his guitar to get cleaner sounds.

When it comes to EQing, I've found that the bite to his sound actually comes from setting the presence high rather than the treble. You can find the gear and actual settings he uses here.

EDIT: ^ Paul has recently been using the single coils that come in the Ibanez Jump Start RG, he says he really liked their sound.
Last edited by Nolly at Aug 30, 2007,
respect u (guy above) like sikth

well i might go for soldano but its dam £$£$£$
so i was looking at other stuff
Yeah SikTh are awesome, I know the guitarists pretty well.

If you live in the UK, try Cornford amps, they're incredible sounding things that should be capable of PG's tone and lots more. The Hellcat is wicked but the Ritchie Kotzen sig is my new favourite amp.
Quote by Nolly
Paul's tone is quite achievable with any decent British voiced tube amp e.g Laney VC series combos or the Orange Rocker combos.

He has increasingly been using single coils on his guitars, but they are in no way part of his sound from his Mr. Big and Racer X days. He does often use the "mixed" positions (2 & 4) along with rolling back the volume on his guitar to get cleaner sounds.

When it comes to EQing, I've found that the bite to his sound actually comes from setting the presence high rather than the treble. You can find the gear and actual settings he uses here.

EDIT: ^ Paul has recently been using the single coils that come in the Ibanez Jump Start RG, he says he really liked their sound.

Excellent i have both an RG, a Laney VC and etc
So basically his single coil isn't much different from stock pickups then?

Quote by Nolly
Yeah SikTh are awesome, I know the guitarists pretty well.

If you live in the UK, try Cornford amps, they're incredible sounding things that should be capable of PG's tone and lots more. The Hellcat is wicked but the Ritchie Kotzen sig is my new favourite amp.

I'm bursting to try a Cornford, I've heard NOTHING in anyway bad about them so they must be good
woah u know pin and dan! ur dam cool!

the Rocker 30 Combo looks vary nice! i know u could get a nice pg tone if you u used an od pedal do u eckon u would get a more saturated heavy metal sound?

thanks
Quote by philipisabeast
So basically his single coil isn't much different from stock pickups then?

Yep, pretty much any single coil will do! Since Paul has mainly used single channel amps for a while now, he uses the output drop that you get when switching from humbuckers to the mixed positions to clean up the amp a little. It also gives a great twangy sound that will be instantly recognisable if you try it with the volume rolled back a little.

Quote by philipisabeast
I'm bursting to try a Cornford, I've heard NOTHING in anyway bad about them so they must be good

If you get a chance to try one definitely take it, they are incredible amps. I'm very tempted to get a Harlequin just to use for practise, they're only 6 watts so you can crank them and get brilliant sounds out of them.
Quote by s1kth
the Rocker 30 Combo looks vary nice! i know u could get a nice pg tone if you u used an od pedal do u eckon u would get a more saturated heavy metal sound?

Maybe not with the same pedal.. A good dist pedal like a metal muff should get you well on your way. Do you mean modern metal or more 80's thrash?
Quote by s1kth
woah u know pin and dan! ur dam cool!

thanks

Oh god no. The Rocker 30 isn't a Gilbert sounding amp at all. I have a PGM301 and a Rocker 30 and it just doesn't have that sort of voicing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo