Okay I've been seeing alot of "metalcore"(term is used loosely) such as Killswitch, Unearth, As I Lay Dying etc. saying that there gear setup has an overdrive pedal such as the Maxon OD808. Are they using this alone into a clean amp or are they putting the distortion infront of an already distorted amp and in this case, what is the point of having overdrive and distortion at the same time? thanks in advance.
They use it in front of an already distorted amp as a boost and to tighten up the sound, I believe.
yea they use it over a already distorted amp gives the tone more definition and has a deeper sound to it if u understand, makes it more tight and crisp
Equips:

Ibanez RG2550E
Jackson DKMG
ESP LTD EC 200 QM
Peavey ValveKing Head & Slant Cabinet
Peavey 5150
Ashdown Fallen Angel 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
It doesn't sound as loose...sort of borderline muddy? I don't know...it's hard to explain, to be honest.
yea think about it like u have distortion which is liek ur fuzz and u have ur overdrive which is ur crunch makes the tone more full. When u try it urself ull see
Equips:

Ibanez RG2550E
Jackson DKMG
ESP LTD EC 200 QM
Peavey ValveKing Head & Slant Cabinet
Peavey 5150
Ashdown Fallen Angel 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
Quote by tearsinheaven13
what do you mean to tighten up the sound?

It's very hard to describe to someone who hasn't heard it but it's sort of like...everything becomes a little more defined; the attack is sharper, the low end is less muddy and there's slightly more mids so you get a little more crunch.

From that description it'll probably sound like you could do it with careful EQ but it's not quite the same as that; you'll just have to get a tube amp and a good OD pedal and try yourself but you'll notice the difference, trust me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.