Page 1 of 2
Hey everybody, well I've been thinking lately about taking some form of martial arts, not because I get beat up or anything, just that I hardly get any exercise and my mom's getting mad at me and she doesn't want me to become very lazy plus I'm not much of a sports guy.

Well I was just wondering if any UGers take or have taken any form of martial arts and what kind of experiences you've had. My friend takes Tae Kwon Do so I was just thinking about tagging along with him. So can anyone explain to me the differences between Karate, Tae Kwon Do or any other forms of martial arts and what kind might be "better". I'm not looking for anything too fancy either - I know some kid who goes to some academy which cost a lot.

Thanks
I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I'm not sure what to think of it, it certainly taught me a lot of good things, but if you think you're gonna be an expert at figthing after it, think again because you really learn nothing about how to defend yourself very well. Mostly it's a lot of memorization of different movements and stuff, a lot of push ups and a lot of money. And I mean A LOT of money. After all that though, it was really fun and I learned a lot of the "responsibility, hard work" stuff like that.
Do not take Tae Kwon Do if you are looking for self defense lessons. Its really just a work out and its actual fighting techniques are horrible and would never work for most people.

Kung Fu was created in China by Shaolin Monks when they needed a form of excersice to keep them in shape due to all the meditation they were doing. It was the original form of martial arts besides wrestling.

Karate originated in Japan after Japanese people had seen Chinese performers and masters. They sought to differentiate them selves from the Chinese and created a much more linear style.

Tae Kwon Do is from Korea and (in its original non sport form) was used by soldiers in the military. Now a days its mostly bull ****.

I have taken Shaolin Kempo for 10 years and its a big hobby of mine. Some people grow to love it and I think you should give it a chance.

Any more questions?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 30, 2007,
Quote by altgrunge
I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I'm not sure what to think of it, it certainly taught me a lot of good things, but if you think you're gonna be an expert at figthing after it, think again because you really learn nothing about how to defend yourself very well. Mostly it's a lot of memorization of different movements and stuff, a lot of push ups and a lot of money. And I mean A LOT of money. After all that though, it was really fun and I learned a lot of the "responsibility, hard work" stuff like that.

Tae Kwan Do is a joke.

How long did it take you to become a black belt? Not long im sure, the whole system is a bunch of crap. Its rare to find a competetent Tae Kwon Do martial artist. Even an old friend who took it for years agrees and now trains with me.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Don't do Tae Kwon Do. It's all show and no power.

I train in Jidoquan (bad spelling?).
It's a very practical form of martial arts.

I remember one time this purple belt from our class fought a blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do. The blackbelt tried this fancy cartwheel kick crap, and our guy just sidestepped and kicked him in the jaw so hard that the guy fell over.

Take practical martial arts!
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Try a european one, I guarentee nothing gets you in shape like fencing, though I warn you, your right arm will be a lot stronger than your left, and you legs will have different sized muscels if you don't ballance it out with weight lifting. Other than that, mighty fun, really rewarding and very instinctive.

PS: I've done Brazialian Jiu Jitsu as well, also nice, but if your into fist fights go for krav maga or kick boxing (not necessarily muya tae).
ya the dojo i go to has "bok fu" and kickboxing. i had never heard of bok fu before i started going there. im still not that sure what it is because we always do something different. (weapons, ju jitsu, grappling, kung fu) like a lot of styles mixed. if you dont want something too fancy like all the karate movies, then i would really recommend kickboxing. its all fighting an opponent, rather than doing katas(the fancy forms you were talking about). and its a really really good work out if you are doing it right.
My gear:
gibson sg
fender stratocaster
vox AD30
crybaby wah
Kata's are a VERY good form of practice if taught and.... well..... practiced right. You should still also practice on real opponents as well though.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Obviously karate is good. I took it from Hidy Ochai himself, not from one of his underlings, and it was an amazing class. Great workout, very practical as well, but I think that's mostly due to who my sensei was.
Karate's from the Ryukyu islands. Not japan.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
Karate's from the Ryukyu islands. Not japan.

Ok lets get veeery technical.

It comes from Japan, Ryukyu Islands, AND China. It was not just "born" on an island.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Well I've read a little about Shaolin Monks and all that intense training they do. I don't have a problem with working hard to achieve anything, but if Tae Kwon Do's not really gonna help me deffend myself then I guess it's not worth taking. So what are the costs that I'll be looking at if I decide to take something else and how long would it take for an average person to become pretty good at whatever they take?
Not to rain on your parade, but it costs a lot, at least around here, I'm not sure exactly how much but a couple thousand dollars to reach black belt. I reached black belt within 3-4 years I think? Something like that. But most commecial martial arts these days don't require real work, as long as you show up and pay you get your belts so it's really up to you as how hard you work. Maybe it's not like this everywhere but that's how it is around here. I would suggest a real place not just like America Karate! or something that's in it to make money.
I am a black-belt in kick-boxing, and even though this is an unbiased view, I would have to say kick-boxing is the best martial art I know of.

Kick-boxing takes a lot of hard work, and it took me 5 years, blood, and a couple of broken fingers and toes to get my black belt.

I trained under a Mr William Hendry, former world champion and creator of the Seibukai style.

I wouldn't change a thing now though.

I took it because where I lived I was being beaten to a pulp on a daily basis.

When it came to moving house from there, I knew that there was something I had to do while I still had the chance.

It was a gang who was bullying me, but they wanted to be my friends. They just hurt me because they were afraid that if they didn't, the ringleader would hurt them.

SO on my final day of living in that street, I walked up to the ringleader, punched him in the nose, and hastily performed a spinning hook kick to his face.

NOW, sorry for that long story, but the moral of that story is:

Bullies always get Pwnt in the end. 'specially if you know martial arts.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Last edited by AvengedThrice at Aug 30, 2007,
Quote by acersucks
Hey everybody, well I've been thinking lately about taking some form of martial arts, not because I get beat up or anything, just that I hardly get any exercise and my mom's getting mad at me and she doesn't want me to become very lazy plus I'm not much of a sports guy.

Well I was just wondering if any UGers take or have taken any form of martial arts and what kind of experiences you've had. My friend takes Tae Kwon Do so I was just thinking about tagging along with him. So can anyone explain to me the differences between Karate, Tae Kwon Do or any other forms of martial arts and what kind might be "better". I'm not looking for anything too fancy either - I know some kid who goes to some academy which cost a lot.

Thanks

First off taking a Martial Art is a great decision.

I took Tae Kwon Do..that's really the only martial art available here.
It's a great atmosphere and your likely to make friends.
Anywho it's a very kick based sport, you use your legs a lot. They also teach some grappling techniques (hakido (sp?) ) and hand movements along with forms. With that there's a lot of pushups situps and a bit of running.

Edit: Yeah it's not really for you if you want to "fight" lol, but it's good if you want to exercise or get a bit more in shape.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 30, 2007,
Oh ya, what's MMA, I always hear that abbreviation when something's reffering to martial arts.
if you want defense classes, just take boxing or something.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by rafarquhar
Don't do Tae Kwon Do. It's all show and no power.

I train in Jidoquan (bad spelling?).
It's a very practical form of martial arts.

I remember one time this purple belt from our class fought a blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do. The blackbelt tried this fancy cartwheel kick crap, and our guy just sidestepped and kicked him in the jaw so hard that the guy fell over.

Take practical martial arts!
Reminds me of a full contact spar I had in karate(it sucks btw, the most basic martial art ever). Some 7 year old tried to do a 360 spin then kick me in the stomach. Of course, I instinctively punched him in the face, about 50% contact cos I was like double his age. Still felt bad though
Quote by acersucks
Oh ya, what's MMA, I always hear that abbreviation when something's reffering to martial arts.

MMA is an abreviation for Mixed Martial arts. It's when people of diiferent martial arts backgrounds (wrestling, boxing kick boxing, jujitsu and it's many forms, karate muy tae, etc) go into a ring (cage or rope) and just basically beat the crap out of each other. Pm me if you want to learn more.

and for the thread starter either judo (great for overeall physical trainning and learning some cool moves) or just man up and try boxing or kick boxing.
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
i would highly suggest judo, im not like some judo god or anything, i just started like 5 months ago but i like it. i used to be more of a striker/boxer fighter but now i can mix grappling and striking pretty well. i think judo is great if you wanna learn some good throws/bone breakers/escapes
I've always been interested in boxing but I thought boxers wouldn't stand a chance agaist someone who knew martial arts.
Quote by acersucks
I've always been interested in boxing but I thought boxers wouldn't stand a chance agaist someone who knew martial arts.

LOL nope, i thought the same thing. sadly most of fighting comes down to raw power (and by power i mean speed + strength + stamina)

technique never hurt anyone though
I'm a black belt in Chun Kuk Do.
Its the style run/founded by Chuck Norris (heck yes), and is really a mix of a bunch of different styles of martial arts to form a new style.
The physical side is not so bad. You are required to demonstrate strength and put power into every move you do, but you learn how to do it gradualy and learn how to pace yourself so it isn't bad at all.
You have to do katas, which is basically memorizing a set of moves.
Its fun.
Try it.
UGHC Member
Quote by Magero
You're my whore....I'm Defy's...it's a chain dude...you just happen to be at the bottom of it...unless theres an ear-wig or someting you wanna make your bitch.

Quote by Vittu0666
You rock.
does he teach the roundhouse kick to the face?
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
I do Tae Kwon Do. I agree it's not a practical martial art, but I enjoy it and it's good exercise. This year I'm probably going to start learning Hapkido, which is a much for practical martial art when it comes to self defense.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Quote by acersucks

I agree, it's not very useful. If you need to defend yourself I highly doubt the person is going to stick to just aiming for the upper body and punching only.
Quote by shark38j
You need a Flux Capacitor ........ Oh, wait, that's for time travel.

Quote by GiantRaven
Watch this one lads, I think he has intelligence!

Quote by unplugtheradio
or maybe he has an opinion *GASP*
i took shaolin white crane kung fu for the year and stopped for summer. im defiantly going back though. i find it really interesting, especially with the cool flow that you see in kung fu movies lol. i recommend either that or wing tsun kung fu
Quote by Kadaj
I agree, it's not very useful. If you need to defend yourself I highly doubt the person is going to stick to just aiming for the upper body and punching only.

nah, i think most people would stick to just punching/upper torso attacks. hence the name "fist fight". but like i said earlier, both are useful the fight just comes down to who's stronger.
I've always wanted to take a martial art, but, honestly, I'm lazy.

I would REALLY have to take myself away from most of the things I love for a long time to get into shape, since I spend most of my time sitting on my ass.

I know from watching Human Weapon and years of dreaming about martial arts, that I wouldn't mind learning some of it.

Like Jeet Kun Do (Bruce Lee's style. One Inch Punch ftw.), Kung Fu, Judo, hell, even capoeira.

Capoeira is just insane. After playing Tekken 3 for the first time (my first Tekken game) and seeing Eddie Gordo flip and spin all the place, I was instantly enthused.

I'm only REALLY interested in the above, and a few more that escape me, but it would be great.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
i study goju-ryu style of karate and love it. i dont know much about other types of martial arts but my style is okinowan based and was developed as a way for okinowan farmer to combat invading japanese samuri with nothing but there bare hands. it is not a flashy style of combat but if you stick with you should be able to end a fight in one hit, in fact that is the styles modo one strike one life. it is also a great strengthing workout, as it entails using your muscles to there fullest potential, and tightning and relaxing your muscles as you go through movements.

in short if you study goju-ryu you will not learn an fancy tornado kicks or anything, but you will get a good workout and a style that lends itself well to actual fighting should the situation arise

but rember common sense befor self defence (im guessing my dojo isnt the only one with that posted on the wall)
One likes to believe in the freedom of music

But glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity
If you just wanna mess people up fast do Krav Maga, that stuffs all MARTIAL and no art.

But if you wanna compete id say kickboxing or jui jitsu.
Quote by Skully12
does he teach the roundhouse kick to the face?

Yes. We learn that. In fact my whole class can roundhouse kick above head level, spin round kick, jump round kick, jump spin round kick, etc.
Quote by Kemp
If you just wanna mess people up fast do Krav Maga, that stuffs all MARTIAL and no art.

But if you wanna compete id say kickboxing or jui jitsu.

Finally some one who speaks sense. For those unaware, the Israelis invented Krav Maga to train their army, the leading thought was "how can I train 100 guys to to be able to kick any one's ass in 3 months".
either kung fu, thai boxing or aikido. i'm a huge fan of all 3. i'm not trained in any martial art, but man of all the martial arts i've seen, those 3 are the most impressive to me

EDIT:

I've read in Bruce lee's book "the tao of jeet kune do" that mohammad ali was the only man bruce lee was unsure of being able to beat.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Aug 31, 2007,
muay thai kick boxing, i thought, was always the best for beating the crap out of people. its more to the point, where as ive spoken to to people who are black belts in karate or watever and you say something like "what would you do if i punched you like this" and there all like, "oh you do this.....wait no, i think its like this......im not sure." didnt sound all that impressive. but maybe he just had a sh** teacher
Good idea for a thread. I've always wanted to try things like capoeira because it looks cool but then again if you're looking for something to kick someone's ass, I reckon I should go for a more practical martial art.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
The things being said about TaeKwonDo aren't really that true. But then again, that's cz we do nothing but fighting in lessons, our instructor gives us sheets and wants us to learn all the syllabus/patterns etc at home, which makes the lessons a lot better. And if you concentrate enough on the fighting and self-defense, TaeKwonDo can be very useful. Hope that helps. Check out the cass first though, you don't want to be doing Pume Sae all lessons every lesson Hope that helps. I'm a red tag btw <3 XxxxX
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1
my penis has a restraining order against me because i beat it

Page 1 of 2