Okay so i got this guitar for 50 bucks, another old washburn, that had some wiring issues the guy said. i crack it open, plug in a wire to it. first thing i notice is the ground. second thing, the volume knob completely shot. cant even spin it a centimeter without gtting really loud crackles. so i replace the volume pot, crackle is gone. now i have this wicked grounding problem. i went through theguitar and rosldered every grounding wire in it. and its still doing it. anyone have any ideas? could i be missing one? how would i run another grounding wire? it does it on all pickups. so my thinking is its the pickup switch perhaps. although all grounds from and on the pickup switch are solid. i only have one tone and one volume knob. there is only one wire on the tone knob though. an active white wire on the middle post, and the ground from that wire on top, and a capacitor on another post.
Quote by LP Addict
Okay so i got this guitar for 50 bucks, another old washburn, that had some wiring issues the guy said. i crack it open, plug in a wire to it. first thing i notice is the ground. second thing, the volume knob completely shot. cant even spin it a centimeter without gtting really loud crackles. so i replace the volume pot, crackle is gone. now i have this wicked grounding problem. i went through theguitar and rosldered every grounding wire in it. and its still doing it. anyone have any ideas? could i be missing one? how would i run another grounding wire? it does it on all pickups. so my thinking is its the pickup switch perhaps. although all grounds from and on the pickup switch are solid. i only have one tone and one volume knob. there is only one wire on the tone knob though. an active white wire on the middle post, and the ground from that wire on top, and a capacitor on another post.

Since it happens on all pickups, that means it's probably NOT the pickup switch. Probably something after that.

Check the wiring to the output jack. The lug that is connected to the sleeve (bushing) of the jack must be connected to the ground of the guitar. If that wire is broken, or if the hot and ground are reversed, you'll get a wicked hum. Worse if you touch the strings. Start there first.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You don't actually say what the problem is, but that's all good advice above!
I second mark_wuk, what do you mean by "wicked grounding problem"? If all the seperate components' ground wires are solidly connected to a main path to ground, then it sounds like that path is not connected to ground through the output jack as SomeoneYouKnew pointed out. Can you whip up a quick wiring diagram to show how this guitar is wired?
Spent life's savings on new amp. Totally worth it.