Can this happen without blowing the amp? My friend needs to borrow my amp to record, but he said he was just going to plug it directly into the mixer. Can you do that? I don't want my amp to die, and I know it'll fry if its not hooked up to a cab.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
Nah but u need a tube amp plugged in to a cab when it's on.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by don't eat baby
Can this happen without blowing the amp? My friend needs to borrow my amp to record, but he said he was just going to plug it directly into the mixer. Can you do that? I don't want my amp to die, and I know it'll fry if its not hooked up to a cab.

You can only do that if your amp has a direct output.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
You can only do that if your amp has a direct output.

Sorry to jack this thread, but since my amp doesn't have a direct output (fender hot rod deville) is there anyway I could connect it to an interface?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
You could get a load box which'll keep your output transformer happy, and install a preamp out jack. You could also use an attenuator to bring the amp's output down to line level, then plug that into the interface. Third, you could use something like a Weber Headphone Tap, and plug the headphone output into the interface.
I think they do make some kind of cab simulator box that you can plug directly into, and it acts as a load for the transformer with an output for recording. I think Satriani uses something like that, but I'm sure it's expensive. Otherwise, no, there is no way to plug the amp's speaker output into a mixer. It's putting out high current from the speaker output, not a passive signal. It would roast a mixer, and the transformer would probably get killed because of the wrong impedance load.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
You can use the "pre out" jack, it's also a line out. However, a proper usb interface cuts down on lag, and allows usually better sound quality.

Micing is also a great option.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^ Yup, mic'ing it is the only way I'm afraid. It's always good to put your amp in a soundproof booth and mic it so you can really open it out. Other wise...cover your ears :P
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Your amp does have a direct out, it's the pre out jack. But you're not gonna hear anything from your amp.

The Palmer DI box with a load is the one you're talking about, or even weber's headphone tap for the amp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
The Palmer DI box with a load is the one you're talking about, or even weber's headphone tap for the amp.

ahh, yes, that's the box I was thinking of. Like you said though, most attenuators also have a line out, my hotplate does too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Well he needs it tomorrow, so I have to make do with what I have.
The amp is a Crate Blue Voodoo that's converted from a combo to a head, with a rack setup in the space of the speaker.
The only output I see that's not to a cab is the "Balanced Out" jack, and it's XLR. Is that what I'm looking for?

Here's a couple pics:

Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
oh definintely, that will work. That's what XLR is for, you can run long cable lengths, and it's noise cancelling so you get a clear signal. As long as your mixer has a balanced XLR input, which most do, you should be all set.

By the way, most amps still require you to have a speaker load, even if you are only using the xlr output.
amp clips
amp vids
Wait, I'm confused. So I can just run the XLR jack to the mixer, and that's it? Or do I still have to have a cab of some type?
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Most attenuators have a DI on them and will work well as a dummy load if set to 100% attenuation.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by don't eat baby
Wait, I'm confused. So I can just run the XLR jack to the mixer, and that's it? Or do I still have to have a cab of some type?

well, it depends on the amp, but most still need a speaker impedance load, even if using the line out. Can you get a hold of a manual to be sure? It should definitely say in there. If you can't, I would assume it still needs an impedance load.
amp clips
amp vids