Page 1 of 2
ya so..i have an ibanez roadstar II series that my uncle gave me a few months ago. and thats the only bass i have currently. its really heavy and i really really hate how it plays. a month or so ago i tried out my friends fender american jazz bass, and loved everything about it. i was thinking about getting one until i found out it was over 1000 dollars, which is way tomuch for me. the thing is fender standard jazz basses are only 500. is there a big difference between the two? do you think if i loved how the american jazz bass played i wont like the standard?

edit: btw, im going to guitar center this weekend. im gonna try both out.
Last edited by LtdB254 at Aug 30, 2007,
There is a big difference, but the Mexican Jazzes are by no means bad basses. Try them out.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
The differences are pretty massive: pickups, woods, electronics (the MIA has S-1 the MIM does not), fretboard option (maple instead of just rosewood), string-thru bridge.

Don't get me wrong, the MIM is a great bass still, and for a second bass it's a great option, if you want something in the middle of those two get the Highway-1 Jazz Bass. It's a great middleman between the two cost and quality-wise.

Quote by LtDB254
mexican jazz basses? whats the price range?

The mexican is another name for the Standard jazz bass because they are made in mexico (MIM)
WOOT MY FENDER!

but yeah dude u should, and if u arent completely satisfied with the sound you could

A. get a new amp

or

B. get new pickups
Quote by MetalBass345
WOOT MY FENDER!

but yeah dude u should, and if u arent completely satisfied with the sound you could

A. get a new amp

or

B. get new pickups

its not all the sound its more of how the bass feels when im playing it.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The differences are pretty massive: pickups, woods, electronics (the MIA has S-1 the MIM does not), fretboard option (maple instead of just rosewood), string-thru bridge.

Don't get me wrong, the MIM is a great bass still, and for a second bass it's a great option, if you want something in the middle of those two get the Highway-1 Jazz Bass. It's a great middleman between the two cost and quality-wise.

The mexican is another name for the Standard jazz bass because they are made in mexico (MIM)

oh. didnt know that.

and yeah i will keep in mind the highway-1 jazz bass when i go. thanks.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

yeah evan, the one u were looking at has an alder body, which is good but it will give you a brighter sound, and the pickups are different but u could always get new ones put on
but if ur just looking for "playability" u'll probably like the Highway one. the neck on that is more similar to mine
Quote by georgemccupcake
might be a dumb question, but what is S1 switching?

switches from a "jazz" sound to a deeper "precision" sound.
Quote by MetalBass345
but if ur just looking for "playability" u'll probably like the Highway one. the neck on that is more similar to mine

yea. im gonna try that one out when we go saturday.
Mexican Basses are great. The majority of MIM fenders are the best value for money i find for mass produced guitars. I have one its great. The other good thing about it is that i don't feel bad about beating it up abit A. Because its a fender. and B. Its not a top of the line bass. ( but its still good)
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
get a geddy lee signature
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Quote by timmEH

meh..its 800. which is still pretty high. but i will try that one to.
Quote by timmEH

not a bad idea there and its the same price as the highway 1
Quote by MetalBass345
not a bad idea there and its the same price as the highway 1

the highway one is 700.
Quote by LtdB254
o. it was differnet on musicians friend. id probably get it from guitar center anyway.

yeah, who knows u might find one u like better than the fender.......pretty hard though
Quote by MetalBass345
yeah, who knows u might find one u like better than the fender.......pretty hard though

lol ya thats true.
Quote by MetalBass345
switches from a "jazz" sound to a deeper "precision" sound.

one of my favorite features of the bass. I just love the MIA Jazz's versatility and all its availible tones. Can't wait 'til mine comes in a couple days
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It switches the pickups from series to parallel. It basically makes a jazz bass sound more precisionish. More punch. I'm not sure what it does to the sound of the P however.

When I tried one, it made the P sound sort of like you were soloing the middle pickup on a Jazz. Handy, but not quite as drastic a change as the S-1 engaged sound on a Jazz.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by jsbassboy
one of my favorite features of the bass. I just love the MIA Jazz's versatility and all its availible tones. Can't wait 'til mine comes in a couple days

that feature is my favorite part about it. it gives you two completely different tones
Quote by Caustic
When I tried one, it made the P sound sort of like you were soloing the middle pickup on a Jazz. Handy, but not quite as drastic a change as the S-1 engaged sound on a Jazz.

the tone is more like a fatter jazz sound, but not quite a precision. but you are very right about it being similar to the mid pickup.
Quote by LtdB254
ya so..i have an ibanez roadstar II series that my uncle gave me a few months ago. and thats the only bass i have currently. its really heavy and i really really hate how it plays. a month or so ago i tried out my friends fender american jazz bass, and loved everything about it. i was thinking about getting one until i found out it was over 1000 dollars, which is way tomuch for me. the thing is fender standard jazz basses are only 500. is there a big difference between the two? do you think if i loved how the american jazz bass played i wont like the standard?

edit: btw, im going to guitar center this weekend. im gonna try both out.

I have a 1986 Roadstar II... it's pretty light and it plays amazingly!
Could you PM a pic of yours to me? It's exciting to find another Roadstar II player.

Anyway, I'd get the Geddy Lee sig, or a Highway 1 Jazz - I think Fenders are overpriced for their American and Standard basses.
Are you serious? The standard J even in my crazy upcharge world (upchrage girl... she was livin' in her upcharge world) the standard J is about $600, well worth it. The MIA's are about $2000, not as worth it, but if you get a half decent deal on the, well worth it.
Quote by MetalBass345
yeah evan, the one u were looking at has an alder body, which is good but it will give you a brighter sound, and the pickups are different but u could always get new ones put on

I thought that alder was darker and ash was brighter sound-wise. Did I just get it backwards?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Are you serious? The standard J even in my crazy upcharge world (upchrage girl... she was livin' in her upcharge world) the standard J is about $600, well worth it. The MIA's are about $2000, not as worth it, but if you get a half decent deal on the, well worth it.

i've never seen an mia for $2000 more like $1200 or so.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, I dunno what is up with my store. An MIJ is $1200.

that's wack, come to TO next time you get a bass then
I shot JR

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, I dunno what is up with my store. An MIJ is $1200.

canada sucks
Quote by jsbassboy
canada sucks

i wouldn't go that far, we do have universal healthcare and we are the only country to ever beat the United States in an official war
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
i wouldn't go that far, we do have universal healthcare and we are the only country to ever beat the United States in an official war

good point. but your taxes are wayyyy higher than ours, so i guess it evens out. i was just saying that everything is more expensive there because of tariffs and taxes, probably as well as international shipping for the MIA Jazz.
Quote by jsbassboy
good point. but your taxes are wayyyy higher than ours, so i guess it evens out. i was just saying that everything is more expensive there because of tariffs and taxes, probably as well as international shipping for the MIA Jazz.

good point and ya i guess it does even out with the taxes and all
I shot JR

Quote by watchingmefall
I live in Mexico, we pwn you all we have great food, great chicks and excellent alcohol. Everything else is not important.

what about health care so you can drown yourself in alchool and other such things and the government will pay to get you better. free livers for all
I shot JR

Page 1 of 2