Page 1 of 4
Why are there no good African American guitarists?

I know Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, B.B. King, etc. were great, but modernly speaking
tom morello?
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Because........

maybe, since it's kinda like a cultural thing....maybe they feel more inclines towards rap then Rock?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Yeah, the creators of rock music aren't enough for you?
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by ep1kz
tom morello?

Obviously I've got research to do. What band's he in, or is he solo?
Tom isnt black. What the hell are you thinking?

The guy who plays with John Mayer can rip it up pretty well.
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
There's that guy from In Living Colour, but that's not really recent...I'd say hip hop and the fact that a lot of blacks come from poorer upbringings, where an instrument like a guitar is not as likely to be bought. This isn't racist, it's just a statement of fact.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Quote by John W

Yes, but it all went downhill from there.

Gym Class Heroes...need I say more?
Quote by John W

theyre not the only creators of rock music. and BB king is straight up blues

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Aug 30, 2007,
Quote by Spay

rage against the machine. but i didnt know he was african american?

Jack my swag
Quote by Sqeeezie

his wikipedia article has a quote from him where he calls himself the black something or other i dunno look it up
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by Sqeeezie

he's half black half white...his great uncle is ****ing jomo kenyatta (first elected president of kenya)
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Tony Mcalpine (sp), Vernon Reid, the dude from Suffocation, there are tons of great black jazz and blues guitarists, but the stuff they play isn't on tv.
The thing is that I did a school project last year about African American influence on rock and roll, and besides the legends of bluegrass and a few others like Hendrix, they've basically disappeared
Quote by Sqeeezie

He's half black, dolt. Vernon Reid from Living Colour is black. There's a guitarist in The Roots, but they're a rap group.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
The guitarist on Jay Leno!!!!!
Last edited by BumSnack at Aug 30, 2007,
Quote by Sqeeezie

Well he's not technically African American, but most people would refer to him as black, which is what we all know the TS means.
Quote by Spay

Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave and The Nightwatchman (his solo stuff)
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
Quote by crazynickman
There's that guy from In Living Colour, but that's not really recent...I'd say hip hop and the fact that a lot of blacks come from poorer upbringings, where an instrument like a guitar is not as likely to be bought. This isn't racist, it's just a statement of fact.

a statement of fact LOL (maybe have a biased and researched proof, and not just ignorant generalization when stereotyping a race.)

B.B king , Buddy Guy, Chuck berry.

Edit: Modernly speaking , meh, I can't be arsed to do the research.

UG Private Poker Room

UG Poker Group
Join it

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝
Last edited by Incardito at Aug 30, 2007,
The reason for so few Black Guitarists is this:

White people get rockin'
Black people get crunk.
tom morello IS black. in guitar world he said the kkk hung a noose in his garage. and who else but a black guy could make guitar playing that funky?
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
tom morello said of he and obama that they were both caramel, handsome, and harvard graduates...that makes me assume he is black or at least partially black...i know he is involved with alot of hispanic movements so i assume he is of a interracial background
Quote by Sqeeezie

he sure is

well half black
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
Quote by Tu Madre lolz!
Dallas and Doc from GodForbid......

they're latino arent they?
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Quote by 159876432
well theres ben kenney, but hes a bassist so i dont know if that counts

Ben doesn't really look black...Chris Kilmore, the DJ, is black.

Ben Kenney looks like this...

I always thought he was Mexican...
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by bass_kid92
Well he's not technically African American, but most people would refer to him as black, which is what we all know the TS means.
what? can you be technically african american? as i said before...his great uncle was the president of kenya...i think that makes him african american even if his mother is white
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
If I do recall right, there was a also a respectable lap slide guitarist in Robert Randolf and the Family Band
Quote by Opeth_Death
Isn't Lenny Kravitz black?
Half I think

Black/Jewish guys seem to have a thing for guitar O.o
Ty Tabor from King's X

Vernon Reid
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Quote by Spay
If I do recall right, there was a also a respectable lap slide guitarist in Robert Randolf and the Family Band

...you mean Robert Randolph?
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Quote by RageAgainst...
what? can you be technically african american? as i said before...his great uncle was the president of kenya...i think that makes him african american even if his mother is white

By technically, I meant someone who is actually full on African who lives in America. After all that's what it really means. People are too scared to just say black though, so they say African American even when the person isn't African at all (which I guess Tom is half).

EDIT: I wasn't aware that he actually had African family at the time I posted the post you replied to.

He's good, and a funny guy too!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 4