basically, i was playing my amp REALLY REALLY loud (half way volume) and the sound started to sound a little funny, and then a few minutes later my room smelled bad from the amp, i cant really explain the smell. anyone know what happened? thanks in advance.
Your SS amp was clipping. It started to get hot inside, thus the smell.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
Your SS amp was clipping. It started to get hot inside, thus the smell.

is that bad? does it need repair?

Quote by takeitaway
Over loaded it and blew up, you need a new amp.

no i didnt. it didnt blow up because, it wasnt that drastic or else i think it would have been obvious. it was just sounding funny at high volumes.

EDIT:
i let it cool down for 10 minutes and now its fine at normal volumes.
Quote by nirvana4lf
is that bad? does it need repair?

It's bad, because it sounds horrible at loud. But, no it doesn't need repair.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

apparently from his ug profile its a spider II. i didnt know ss clipped, or that it was bad
Quote by s.r.v.
apparently from his ug profile its a spider II. i didnt know ss clipped, or that it was bad

SS amps are the only amps that clip. It isn't necessarily harmful, but it is bad because it sounds horrible.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
SS amps are the only amps that clip. It isn't necessarily harmful, but it is bad because it sounds horrible.

actually, clipping is also what produces overdrive on tube amps, it's just soft clipping of the signal instead of hard abrupt clipping like a transistor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
actually, clipping is also what produces overdrive on tube amps, it's just soft clipping of the signal instead of hard abrupt clipping like a transistor.

Really? I thought on Tube amps, it was overworked tubes, not the same as clipping? Oh well, I must have been mistakin
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
Really? I thought on Tube amps, it was overworked tubes, not the same as clipping? Oh well, I must have been mistakin

it is overworked tubes, but that's why they are clipping the signal at that point. The clipped signal is rounded off in a curved peak instead of the peak being completely cut off like a transistor amp clipping.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

it is overworked tubes, but that's why they are clipping the signal at that point. The clipped signal is rounded off in a curved peak instead of the peak being completely cut off like a transistor amp clipping.

In that case, I love clipping!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123