I intend to do this bass-making extravaganza with an explorer body. what pickups would you recommend? I play Iron Maiden-ish metal and alternative-ish stuff.
Look into seymour duncan's or Emg's.

Active or passive?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Steve Harris uses a Seymour Duncan Basslines Quater Pounder precision pickup so I would guess that is your best bet.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'll recommend Nordstrands of some sort. If you want jazz pickups, the NJ4E, otherwise Dual Coils.
haha
well im thinking of buying that dean z shaped with active electronics primarily for the body. what pickups would i be able to exchange with them and would a fender neck fit it?
Quote by FullMetalBass
well im thinking of buying that dean z shaped with active electronics primarily for the body. what pickups would i be able to exchange with them and would a fender neck fit it?

Yes, the neck would fit.

Link me to the body you want?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
Hmmm...You'd have to have it routed.

Did you try www.warmoth.com or something?
Quote by Demonikk
+1

Quote by Charlatan_001
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I'll recommend Nordstrands of some sort. If you want jazz pickups, the NJ4E, otherwise Dual Coils.

those things are incredible pickups. If you can afford them, get them.
Quote by sammcl-15
Hmmm...You'd have to have it routed.

Did you try www.warmoth.com or something?

Yeah I only intend to replace the pickups with other active humbuckers not to rout anything. Any suggestions on good active humbuckers?