Does any one know where i can get one of those basses that r basically jus a bucket with a broomstick stickin out with one string that usually played in the south and does n e 1 kno the real name of it?
"Washtub bass"? As in the stuff skiffle bands and jugbands etc play? They're mostly homemade things by people who can't afford a proper upright.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
"Washtub bass"? As in the stuff skiffle bands and jugbands etc play? They're mostly homemade things by people who can't afford a proper upright.

Hmm. That could be his catch. He could make one and then fill it with money to show that he's not poor. =D
That is a gut bucket or washtub bass. There is also a version used in English Skiffle music called a "tea-chest' bass.

They are used frequently in traditional bluegrass music and they are not that hard to make: http://www.projectsandhobbies.com/washtubbass.htm. I have seen "kits" for building them and the version know as the upright double washtub bass.
Last edited by anarkee at Aug 31, 2007,
thanx 4 the info me and a few friends are starting a punk jug band and does n e 1 kno if they use a drum kit or do they replace it with a different instrument?
Washboard percussion.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Washboard percussion.

Caustic is right. No drums. Washboard and sometimes spoons.
Hah hah, if you do make it you have to post videos and/or pictures.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
well my friend is going to make it and play it, Ill be playing the washboard but ill post pics of it and does n e 1 kno where i can get a washboard besides buying it online?