Well, I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now and I can do most things including sweeping, but I've never been able to solo convincingly, I can fake my way through a solo and I'll sound like a robot but I'm looking for some ways to put some emotion and skill into it. Any help is appreciated guys, thanks.
Learn the blues (Albert/B.B./Freddie King, John Lee Hooker, Clapton, SRV)
And solos by people influenced by it (Page, Slash, etc.)

Also learn your favorite solos - that'll help with the style a bit
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
dynamics, building up... basically, just solo over songs a LOT, and eventually your ears will guide your fingers to what YOU think sounds good.
i just worked on my improv a lot, work on phrasing...i dont know how to tell you to do that exactly, but just kinda feel the notes, dont worry about playing fast at all, worry about playing slow enough to get feeling out of the notes. each note can be a thin boring note, or it can be a deep awing note, its all up to how you play it, dont worry so much about the theory, that comes with time, worry more about the sound

something that helped me is i've kinda just immersed myself in satriani, strange beautiful music, and crystal planet have some beautiful phrasing, IMO, more beautiful than some of the stuff on surfing with the alien, super colossal is also immensely good for phrasing, sometimes i find it just takes listening to songs to understand how to phrase a certain way

i dont know, its late, im tired, hope i helped in some way
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Learn to groove, white boy. What I did for this was I would practice jamming with a track and a friend, and for the first measure I could only play one note. Any note of my choice. I could repeat it and do whatever rhythm I wanted, bend, vibrato, whatever, but it was only that one note. Next measure I could play that note and one more. Same rules applied. Next measure I could play up to four notes, and on the fourth measure I was free to do as I pleased. This will teach you to build into your solos better, and you'll find it suprisingly helpful for your phrasing on those first notes. You'll also really appreciate what you can do when you have everything available to you, and treat it as kind of a privelidge.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by Dazed/Confused
Learn the blues (Albert/B.B./Freddie King, John Lee Hooker, Clapton, SRV)
And solos by people influenced by it (Page, Slash, etc.)

Also learn your favorite solos - that'll help with the style a bit

Anyway, play lots of chord tones, add lots of vibrato, and most importantly get into it!
if ur just starting out learn some simple emothional solos...another thing to do when u advace more is just jam, play over songs u like and jamtracks too..all things come with time
Sweet guys, I'll be sure to try all of that. I never realized soloing had so much to it, heh. I'll keep working on it, in the mean time, keep it coming!
Quote by Superdude257
Sweet guys, I'll be sure to try all of that. I never realized soloing had so much to it, heh. I'll keep working on it, in the mean time, keep it coming!

yeah man. when you watch a great guitarist solo, they might seem like they're not doing a lot of thinking, but in reality their mind is racing.