Im going to order a HB ga5, which is basically an epi valve junior clone (with an additional tone knob) and a bad monkey overdrive to boost it up a little.

Good choice, bad choice? should i go for some other overdrive pedal for better results? I wouldnt want to pay more than a 100$ for a pedal.

I play classic rock and stuff similar to that but also some heavier stuff. Could this amp and pedal combo get me to black sabbath territory?
I doubt you will be able to get good black sabbath tones... I have a peavey valveking royal 8 (5watt tuber) and a OD pedal with it, it's awesome but it's not really for heavy sounds.

It works fine with high gain though, I can use a rectifier model on my zoom and get nice chunky sounds out of my amp.
Ive heard much better stuff about the Bad Monkey. Ds-1 was supposedly rather screechy and lacked bass?
I use that exact rig - Bad Monkey and Valve Junior. With a good humbucker-equipped guitar you can get Black Sabbath. I can get damn close to their tone using my Strat...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
ok guys im gonna do the order now.. unless u suggest any alternatives to it. Is the bad monkey the best deal for the cash? or would it be better to order a proco rat 2 or turbo rat perhaps or something else.
Mr Carrot can you get over drums with your OD + VJ? My mate needs an amp that can.... but his budget is like 200 euros Also do you think it would give a good rythym tone?
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Quote by plankermaxx
Mr Carrot can you get over drums with your OD + VJ? My mate needs an amp that can.... but his budget is like 200 euros Also do you think it would give a good rythym tone?

My VJ combo gets over a drummer at half volume.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
cheers GA5 sounds good for him then
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Quote by MrCarrot
I use that exact rig - Bad Monkey and Valve Junior. With a good humbucker-equipped guitar you can get Black Sabbath. I can get damn close to their tone using my Strat...

How good does the intro to Paranoid sound through a cranked VJ? Really suits that old style distortion where they were really just experimenting with abusing there gear.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard