13 38%
Fender
13 38%
Gib/Epi - hollowbody of sorts...
2 6%
other? (please list)
6 18%
Voters: 34.
so i'm thinking about buying an electric, and i'm sure this has been asked before but what Major suggestions do you all have? i was thinking a gibson les paul, trans blue?, i don't know a lot about electrics though, i own two acoustics, and rarely get to touch electrics, all advice is much appreciated - Dane aka Danny
Last edited by Danny Fisk at Aug 31, 2007,
Ibanez, they have some nicer stuff at a low price, but if you plan to get on with a double-locking trem, then be prepared to work a little more with string changes. I would recommend the RG321. Pretty straight forward, fixed bridge, basswood, and the neck is pretty slim. The basswood would have brighter tone, but if you want an all around guitar, I would go for that. The lower end RG's arent to heavy on the wallet either, you should start out a little modest, then upgrade.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by LethalAe86TypeR
Ibanez, they have some nicer stuff at a low price, but if you plan to get on with a double-locking trem, then be prepared to work a little more with string changes. I would recommend the RG321. Pretty straight forward, fixed bridge, basswood, and the neck is pretty slim. The basswood would have brighter tone, but if you want an all around guitar, I would go for that. The lower end RG's arent to heavy on the wallet either, you should start out a little modest, then upgrade.

The 321 is Mahogany, not basswood.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG321MH
^^RG321 has a mahogany body, so it'll sound a bit warmer.
We can't just tell you what guitar to get. We need to know how much you have to spend, what kind of sound you're looking for and such.
Quote by LethalAe86TypeR

You know nothing about what tone he is after, and suggest and RG which is a metal/shred guitar, when I'd hazard a guess to say he's into classic rock/blues due to the brands he suggested (I know they could all be used for shred/metal) and the fact he owns two accoustics. I know I'm making assumptions, too, but you need to find out which styles he plays, first.

And threadstarter, it all depends what guitars you're looking at.
SG all the way. i bought mine epiphone, and it plays friggin great. Its neck is slightly longer than most, which i love. oh, and its easy to get to the really high frets. but if you do get one, get the model with the humbuckers. it sounds a lot better. if you have a guitar center near you or anyplace like that, i highly recommend you try this guitar. Moneywise, it may be about 3 to 4 hundred dollars.
Last edited by FaceMelter1313 at Aug 31, 2007,
TS We can tell you our preferences out of those guitars but they will be based on what sounds we are trying to achieve and what is indivdually most playable for us.

First of all tell us what your budget is, do you also need an amp, or if you have one already what is it? And also what sort of music you intend to play on it. We can then suggest ceratin guitars that might be suitable then it is for you to go out and play them, very important.

Cheers Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Gibson neck would probably be more like an acoustic neck if that's what you're looking for. A Les Paul has a thicker tone and slightly more sustain due to the extra wood but it's damn heavy and upper frets are a pain to reach compared to an SG.

Epis (ideally custom/ultra for an LP or G400 + for an SG) are generally a decent budget alternative but if you live in USA there are other brands that have been called superior here on UG. Epi Elitists if you can find them are almost as good as Gibsons (sometimes better) at a lower price.

Fender strats are the 'classic' electric guitar and (imo) easier to play but have a very different sound to Gibsons. Tele's are a 'player's guitar' and have a similar sound to a strat but twangier. They're most common in country styles but have been used for pretty much everything. If you go for a Fender get an American made one or find a really nice Mexican.

If you want a semi or hollow body Epiphone and Ibanez Artcores are quite good. If you're willing to spend a fair amount of money Gretsch and Gibson are also options.

Without more info it's hard to suggest a particular brand/guitar. What sound are you looking for? What feel? What style of music? Bear in mind the guitar is only half the instrument - what amps are you looking at?
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Aug 31, 2007,
I'm more into classic rock/bluesy stuff, but i dont want to be limited to that, i've been told the Fender strat is what to get if youre looking for that kind of versatility, as far as budget, being a student with a part-time job as a waiter, about 800 is the cap amount i can spend without feeling extremely guilty, i'm not into the heavier metal really, to list some artists; White Stripes, Spoon, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jet, Fair to Midland, etc, again i'm looking to not be really limited but still have a quality sound, thank you for all the advice so far, i hope youll continue to help
-Dane/Danny
Last edited by Danny Fisk at Sep 1, 2007,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=513072

Schecter C-1 Classic.

This guitar is extremely versatile, and has a lot of features you might not expect for this price. Since it has humbuckers (very nice Seymour Duncans I might add) with coil tapping, it has single coil sounds as well as humbucker sounds. It stays in tune great and sounds great. The body is mahogany, which is a great tonewood, used on Les Pauls. It also has neck-thru construction, which is extremely rare on guitars, especially ones under $1000. I really can't stress how ****ing awesome this guitar is. And it looks amazing.

It costs $700, which means it's in your price range.
^ The guitar in your pic looks like it's prety banged up. I bet a new one is sexy though, I like.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Check Out the Highway Series of Fender, I really recomend the Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, they sound good, Made in America, and play nice. The finish is nice too, it fades too give a really nice vintage look.
I would suggest a Parker P-42 it has both gibson and Fander sounds due to the coitaps. $519.00 so it fits you price range. But the problem with Parkers is the design is either liked or hated.

For me my set-up is a 2005 Gibson SG voodoo.

Going through a Boss OC-3 Octave Pedal, Digitech Grunge Pedal, Boss DD-3 Digital Dealy Pedal.

And finally the amp is... A, B-52 AT-112
WOW! That Schecter C-1 Classic is gorgeous, i think i've found one i like, i'll have to go play it a bit at a guitar center, but it sure is beautiful, more posts of advice and all previous posts are appreciated, thank you all for your time
Nope, I don't have an amp, thanks for the suggestion, more are much appreciated, thanks, i'm thinking about one to go with that Schecter C-1 Classic
yeah i still need an amp, but i probably wont be needing it for practicing, so the amp can wait a tad longer, any suggestions on what brand/ features i should look for?
Spend the same on an amp as you do on the guitar. I recommend a Peavey Classic 30, absolutely brilliant thing, you'll love it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.