Page 1 of 2
ive just finished my GCSE's, and i got 5 A*s, 4 As and 1B. So my parents have decided to give me £800 (roughly $1600) to buy a new guitar with. The first guitar that came to mind was a Gibson les paul. Id only be able to get the studio though. I just wanted your opinions on whether i should settle for an epiphone les paul and pocket the rest of the money, buy the studio, or keep saving for a standard. Is the standard worth the extra? Im going to look arund soon anyway to try them out, just wanted a heads up before i started.

Thanks again.
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:
Gain:0
Bass:0
Mid:0
Treble:0
Presence:0
Master Volume:0
Try Burnys, Greco, or Edwards. The japanese models quality are up to gibson's standards and cost around the same price as a Epi.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

i play mostly heavy rock, eg GnR
Used Gibi LP custom??

Damn... I got 6A*s 4 As and 1B and all I got is "meh" from my dad...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

also get a modded epiphone valve junior. if you cant be bothered to mod one yourself there is a guy on a certain popular auction site doing loads of cool things to them. a true boutique amp for a fraction of the price. then new leads and picks and stomp boxes... woo hoo!!!
What amp are you using? I'd sooner spend all that on a brilliant amp than a guitar...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I say get the best and most expensive Epi LP. Maybe Epi LP Ultra? It wil be much better than any low end Gibson you get.
£800. Nice, I got an iPod video 80GB.

That kind of money opens lots of options for combo amps.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Get the Tokai. Seriously, the high end models are just as good as the new Gibson LP Standards, some say even better. The Alnico Pro IIs will really get you that Slash tone.
...But not if he has a beginner practice amp, you really need a JCM800/Silver Jubilee or a similarly voiced amp for those tones..
Quote by Captain Planet
I say get the best and most expensive Epi LP. Maybe Epi LP Ultra? It wil be much better than any low end Gibson you get.

i agree with this guy, an epiphone les paul custom is a sicko guitar take a look at it!!
Quote by dsubstanceuk
New Guitar > New Amp

Only totally no.

If you want a good all-tube amp, I'm selling one for £300, that would leave you enough for a good LP copy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Ok, what would you rather have, a crappy guitar (The ****test possible strat copy ever made) and a Marshall stack. Or a Vintage Gibson Les Paul and a crappy 10W practice amp. An amazing guitar, beats and amazing amp.

Definitely get the £499 Tokai LoveRock. And a good tube amp combo in the £300 area. £300 can get you an awesome tube amp. The Laney VC30 is a great amp.

Crappy guitar and Marshall Stack

or get the Vintage Les Paul, throw the practice amp out of a window, sell the les paul and with the money buy a Marshall stack and not-so-crappy guitar

seriously, amp > guitar
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

^^ I agree. I bet almost any crappy Squier Bullet will sound better through my Mark IV than someone's Gibson Les Paul Supreme would sound through an MG.

^ That's a false dichotomy. If he's looking for a particular tone, having the right amp will set him on the path easier than playing the "right" guitar with the wrong amp. You're not going to get metal through a Fender Blues Deluxe no matter how much you've spent on your guitar.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Ok, what would you rather have, a crappy guitar (The ****test possible strat copy ever made) and a Marshall stack. Or a Vintage Gibson Les Paul and a crappy 10W practice amp. An amazing guitar, beats and amazing amp.

I'd get the vintage Les Paul, sell it for $40,000, and then buy an amazing rig.
Quote by Dirk Gently
^^ I agree. I bet almost any crappy Squier Bullet will sound better through my Mark IV than someone's Gibson Les Paul Supreme would sound through an MG.

^ That's a false dichotomy. If he's looking for a particular tone, having the right amp will set him on the path easier than playing the "right" guitar with the wrong amp. You're not going to get metal through a Fender Blues Deluxe no matter how much you've spent on your guitar.

+1 on all of that. Amp > guitar unless it's unplayable.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by dsubstanceuk

Definitely get the £499 Tokai LoveRock. And a good tube amp combo in the £300 area. £300 can get you an awesome tube amp. The Laney VC30 is a great amp.

i know where you are coming from but a crappy guitar through a good amp would sound loads better than a good guitar through a crappy amp. although there probably wouldnt be much in it... imo
Quote by p.stick

Damn... I got 6A*s 4 As and 1B and all I got is "meh" from my dad...

11 A*s and a B and I got a grunt and nod of approval.

To the TS if you do go for something like an epi LP custom then you can split the money half and half beween a new guitar and a nice tube combo.
you could get an epi lp of your choice, then put in nice pickups and custom wiring. or a les paul double cut, or and SG, or save up 300 more and get a les paul standard
EDIT: i wouldnt go with the ****ty fake les pauls. thats asking for trouble. for les pauls, i would say stick with epiphone, gibson, and maybe, if you really like it, agile.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
New Guitar > New Amp

NO
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Guitar = playability

Amp = Sound quality, i.e. tone

For a beginner, guitar is more important than amp. Once you are set, improve your amp first.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by dsubstanceuk
Ok, would you rather have only a guitar or only an amp?

That's completely irrelevant! We're not talking about him just getting a guitar or amp.

As for the threadstarter, get a really nice tube amp, and maybe an Epiphone Elitist if you have enough after the amp.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Ok, so hypothetically speaking. You have no guitar, or amp.

You are offered an amazing rare, and good guitar or an amazingly good amp. You would really get the amp? What would be the point?

A stupid comparison because the guitar is required for the amp to be made useful but that does not make, assuming both parts are apparent, the guitar more important than the amp.
The amp contributes far more to the sound than the guitar does; as long as the guitar is easy to play and suitable, physically speaking, for your hands, then the amp has a exponentially bigger effect on the sound than the guitar does. I can't believe there are still people out there who haven't figured that part out yet.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by dsubstanceuk

You are offered an amazing rare, and good guitar or an amazingly good amp. You would really get the amp? What would be the point?

Look, this ends here

AMP > GUITAR

Seriously man, one day you will realise this, so how about you take the -correct- opinion of the 10+ people who are disagreeing with you now and save yourself the embarrassment
Diezel, Motherfucker
Last edited by mh400nt at Aug 31, 2007,
save up for the les paul standard.Its really worth it

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
damn, i graduated with honors and got a nearly perfect SAT score, my mom was like cool, what do you want for dinner. wtf mate?

they are sending me to luthiers school though, so im happy.

Look into Orville or Greco les pauls. the japanese quality seems to stomp most of the american gibsons ive played. ebay that stuff.
Quote by dsubstanceuk

well maybe you might want to look at This guy's page he's corduroyew on UG and he hand makes very high quality custom pickups so soundwise this is a very good guitar he's playing. But just listen to the difference in sound he gets between a marshall and his bassman, the bassman isn't even a crap amp either so god knows how awful it would sound thru this 10w amp of which you speak.

personally i don't know what's worse, your argument, your reasoning, experience with these things, your punctuation or your grammar in that last scentence.

Quote by dsubstanceuk

that's completley irrelavent. Besides i'd just get the amp then go down to my local guitar shop and buy an old Maverick X-1 for £150 and stick an EMG IN IT!!!

Quote by dsubstanceuk
Ok. Well, get the Tokai. £300 is good enough to get a decent valve combo.

now were getting somewhere. Every1 on here mentions the laney VC-30 but the peavey valveking is also good around this price range.

TS a guitar might seem tempting now but i think you should think about getting an amp moreso right now. I have seen pretty damn cheap marshall JCM 800 combos on eBay, maybe you might want to have a look at one of them? Then i think you should pocket the rest of the money and save up for the tokai. Honestly japaneese guitars are AMAZING value for money.

Or of course you could do it the other way round aswell, get the Tokai and save up for a used JCM800 combo off ebay.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 31, 2007,
^So i forgot to put a capital letter. Big ****ing deal. Yes that's fine but you were making it out as if were all idiots for saying that it's better to have a good amp then a good guitar.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^exactly, SPELLING. I wasn't talking about spelling was i? Now let's just stop with this argument. It's silly. I don't really care if you like amps or not, just means more amp for me
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 31, 2007,
ok, my dad is certain that it HAS to be a guitar- i have a vox ad100vt at the minute.
im pretty sure i want to stick to the gibsons and epi's.
thanks
Quote by dsubstanceuk

Then I'd get the amp, and save up for some squier!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
In this case, then, save a tad bit more cash and get and Gibson LP Classic.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
just to clear things up for all of you, i have a vox ad100vt and i HAVE to buy a guitar.
Your amp is decent.

Do you mind going used? If so, you can get some nice gibsons such as custom or standard for 800.

Quote by KileManA7X

I bought a Gibby LP Studio about a year ago. Worst guitar I ever owned. Quality control was terrible on it, so I had a wide variety of probs from faulty wiring to frets popping out. I have had to spend almost £400 on repairs so far. And since theres very little resale value on LP Studios, I can't get enough cash to justify selling it. I dont like seeing it, because its like a symbol of how gibson shafted me, and about a thousand quid wasted. So I just shoved it in the loft. I prefer a telecaster squire I bought 3 years before for 70 quid. Yes my guitar have been a one of, but I wouldnt trust gibson. You can probs get slash tone with an ibanez and the same duncans he uses.
unless you are buying a gibson in which you can actually try out for yourself I would go with a tokai. I've never played a bad tokai, even the chinese made ones. Gibson once sued tokai for making LP copies (simply because they were as good if not better) an old japanese tokai would be a good choice and can be had for £600-£800 easily
Page 1 of 2