Hello all,
My first post here on the UG forum so please be gentle.

OK, I am looking for a new guitar having had a low quality bargain-basement strat copy for four years. I restrung it recently and the nut snapped (like I said, low quality). and the fact that I tried to put on higher guage strings. Its a blessing in disguise really though, because now I can BUY A NEW ONE!!

Ive been looking at the Ibanez's a lot lately and have already set my heart on the RG2550E 2007 (part of the prestige range), simply for the way it looks, gorgeus in my opinion. But now I find out that I'm rather naive when it comes to geetarz, in that words like - 'Thruough body stringing', 'floyyd Rose', 'Double locking tremelo systems', 'floating bridges' and the like really mean very little to me.

I play mainly indie, rock and metal (in E, Drop D and C with a view to dropping lower, should the guitar be able to handle it). and want a gutar that can handle it all. I want to be able to drop tunings on the fly - not have to remove plates and screws and springs and whatever. And Because I'm only planning on having one electric guitar I need it to do it all that AND a bag of chips. It should last me a good 10 years I'd hope.

I also dont really understand the fact that my s**t strat copy had a whammy bar and I could do vibrato with it (not that I used it much) but could also drop tunings really quickly without having to remove backplates and the like. I dont mind having to tune up every so often, if thats all it takes, thats not a problem. I'd prefer regular retuning than not be able to drop tunings. if that makes sense.

WHAT GUITAR DO I NEED?!?
I love the sharp sleek Ibanez look, but am I better off looking elsewhere?
My Price range is around £650 UK, ABOUT $1000-ish i think.

Sorry for the rambling.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
I just got my ibanez RG2620E prestige from nevada in portsmouth for £545 what a bargain. Maybe they might have another one in. Its an amazing guitar...good DiMarzio pick ups, nice wizard neck, its light looks stylish but not brash...great edge pro trem and 5 way switch with coil split.

Its a great guitar..i suggest you check em out.
well if you want to randomly change tunings, donm't get a floyd rose/ double locking tremolo, if you want great sustain get a strig through, iif you want a tremolo well...ya not much explaining, if you want to be able to get teh lower and higher pitches get a floating bridge
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
You won't be able to change tunings easily on a floyd rose guitar i.e. RG2550E

Even if you do get a hardtailed guitar, don't keep changing from drop D to drop C and back up again. (standard to drop D should be fine) The neck is not design to take this constant change of tension. And your guitar is likely to have a poor tuning stability in the long run.]

You amp is also very important in terms of sound.

I'd advice you get your old guitar fixed and keep that in drop C. Buy another guitar with a hardtail (washburn x50pro, yesyes) and use that for drop D and standard. And the rest of the money can go towards a new amp maybe? What do you have atm?

EDIT: here is the guitar: click

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Last edited by p.stick at Aug 31, 2007,
>I'd advice you get your old guitar fixed and keep that in drop C. Buy another guitar with a
>hardtail (washburn x50pro, yesyes) and use that for drop D and standard. And the rest of
>the money can go towards a new amp maybe? What do you have atm?

What is ATM? Im unsure.

My amp was a straight out of the beginners-guitar-box 15watt amp. Thus crap.
I was considering A new amp, I know one of my friends has a line six spider (something) and It sounds pretty good. And Im told that it can be plugged directly into my computer for same-sound recording. Awesome!

I will eventaully get the old guitar fixed, good idea about keeping that in C. Nice advice.

Does the fact that this Washburn has thru body strining, without a tremelo, limit somewhat?
even though I do so love it...
Dammit, being a newbie, only ever considered ATM to be guitar related.
Damn and Blast (With a red face).

-------

OK, Anyway.
Hypothetically, I still buy the Ibanez , because I couldnt resist the sexiness any longer. Ignoring Drop C, would it still be a bit of a hassle to drop the E to a D in a gig situation?
Last edited by FiveFive at Aug 31, 2007,
Through body stringing (or String-Through) means when you restring the guitar the strings go, well, through the body. Example

A floating bridge is a type of tremolo system that can both raise and lower pitch (it floats above the trem cavity)

Double locking tremolo is a type of floating trem that locks the strings at both the bridge and nut, which helps with tuning stability.

And Floyd Rose is a brand of double-locking, floating tremolos. (in fact, they are the original)

As for a guitar, I'd go with with a fixed bridge guitar (guitar without a tremolo system). This will allow for better tuning stability when changing tunings (floating tremolos have a tendency to be a bitch when changing tunings). Perhaps look into Jacksons and ESPs? Something with Seymour Duncans probably.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
It's your choice really. I just want to warn you that floyd rose takes ages to drop. (about 10 - 15 minutes due to the way they are designed...)

Yes it is a good guitar. Get it and you won't be disappointed (if you don't mind the bridge). Also I'd advice you get it used. A) to save a bit of money, B) For a better resale price (new guitar drops value dramatically once they are taken out of the shop)

Look into RG550, RG570, RG770 etc. The older models are a lot better than the new ones.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

I doubt I will get the 2550E now that floating bridges have been explained. So thanks for shattering my dreams. . . Just kidding. Thanks for the advice.

So now im confused as to what Kind of bridge my Stratocaster copy had to allow me downtuning but also tremelo?!? What kind does a normal strat have?

Argh, i wish I knew more.
Strat Trems are typically non- floating. With a Floyd, one strings tension will affect all the others, becuase they 'float'.

This is really hard to explain without a guitar, lol. Can anyone provide a diagram?
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
There is a great sticky in this section of the forums, you should check it out. Great starting point for this kind of thing.
You may want to avoid that Spider. I would suggest a Roland Cube.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
The RG2550E is a very good guitar, one of the highest rated ones on Ultimate-Guitar.

yeah,great! but very expensive,may i recomend the ibanez S470? it has a real sleek thin body,mahagony wood,and ZR bridge,and a adjuster for simple adjustment for the bridge,great guitar at a affordable price.of course lower graded compared to the 2550E but its like 3 times cheaper.Floating bridge too though,but don't let it get in your way,im planning to get the s470 and its gonna be my first guitar,i'm just gonna ask the shop keeper for some tips and tricks,but the way the bridge compared to the other plays i'm not so sure about...some guy said not to put too much pressure on the floating bridge..can anyone explain that?oh yeah,try to avoid any guitars with edge lll,i may not have any electrics yet,but i've tried alot of em at the shops..mainly the ibanez RG tremolo series..alot of people say the edge lll is horrible,

but right now,i'm considering fixed bridges too,you might want to think about it?

AHH!! thanks alot man,i've said so much and i dun know what the #$@$# i've been saying..your a begginer like me right?get a fixed bridge,probably a RG prestige..but trust me,don't get edge lll,if your getting an ibanez,probably get a edge pro?
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Sep 2, 2007,
Washbyrn X50 pro would be great, and it's only £300....that'd leave £350 left over for a good amp.

Not a Line 6 Spider though.

Or a Marshall MG.

Something like this
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/lc-30-ii/382
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So, let me get this straight.
A thru body strung guitar is good for changing tunings on the fly but obviously no tremelo?
A fixed bridge is much the same, fine for quick de/re-tunings - but this does have tremelo?And any kind of floating, double locking or floyd rose tremelo system is a big no no?

Ok then, rather than dragging this out longer than it needs to be, I shall just tell you guys what I'd like and hopefully you can help me out.

IDEALLY, I wanted:
1) A fairly lightweight black or dark grey guitar
2) With scratchplate OR a very hardwearing body, that is built for some abuse.
3) Hopefully a dark fingerboard.
4) It has to be good for quick tune changes.
5) WITH a tremelo, for future use, when I actually become more than a basics player.
6) I do love funky inlays on the fretboard, whether its sharktooth or triangles. anything but the dreaded dots.
7) Pickups that aint going to sound like a tin of rusty nails.
8) a multi effects pedal or amplifier that has a truckload of editable effects and that is good for direct plug-in recording to my pc.

Oh and, if that little lot wasnt enough, it has to last me a good ten years.
If you want to change tunings then you want a fixed bridge, forget about trems for the time being. Basically, if you want a trem it's because you eventuially want to use it, no doubd for divebombs, flutter et al. That being the case you're going to want a floating trem because a vintage style trem without a locking nut will just go straight out of tune as soon as you start doing that kind of stuff. However a locking trem means no changing tunings.

Therefore get a fixed bridge now, because any trem you do get won't be suitable for what you want to do with it. The X50 Pro is your best bet by a long way, however the Ibanez RG321 is a good option too but you'd have to put up with dots, also the Ibanez SZ320 which is similar to the Washburn but with slightly worse specs.

Also, don't worry too much about effects on an amp - if you find one with them then fair enough, but you don't want an amp with loads of optioins for presets and what have you, that generally means that the amp itself isn't all that great so they're trying to cover up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If your like strats get a squier

if you like gibsons get and epi les paul

After this one though The advice I would give you is to save your money to buy a really good guitar.
Quote by americanfighter
If your like strats get a squier

if you like gibsons get and epi les paul

After this one though The advice I would give you is to save your money to buy a really good guitar.

None of the above thanks, I never once mentioned gibson or strat as an option.

To everyone else, thank you very much for your help/opinions/advice.
Very much appreciated.

My quest continues.

seem to have narrowed it down to the washburn x50 pro (cos it does look the business). or a similar spec scheckter - I forget the model.