Hi everyone

I'm going to start playing guitar as soon as i get my salery.
Anyway I like Metal/Rock and so on, for the moment i can't play any guitar at all but tomorrow I'm going to visit my old school friend and he's gonna learn me play smoke on the water, some pieces and and I'm just wondering what the the bad and good thing with getting an electric guitar before and Acoustic one. I've decided me for this one: http://www.jamshop.se/gitarr-baspaket/ Elgitarrpaket Tanglewood FST32 *In the bottom of the page.

/Markus
Well, this is how it is. With an acoustic, you have to push harder on the frets and be more accurate with your finger placement to get that clear note/chord sound. Now, when you move up from acoustic to electric and actually practiced scaled on your acoustic before, it will seem a lot easier and your fingers will move a lot more fluently.
starting on electric is fine.
They are easier to play than acoustics, so you are (probably) less likely to think its too hard and quit.
Toughens up your fingers at a nicer rate too.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
starting on a classical will improve your playing waaaaayyy more than an electric and later you couls still play electric and it'd be easier with the classical skill you already have then.
Quote by UndeadPunk
i wouldn't recomend you this guitar,
in which currency are the prices ?

Swedish kronor, In dollar this Is around 230 $. I know that the amplifier Is't the best but i live in a apartment home and my mum Is very worried about the sound but If It's to much i just plugg in a pair of headphones.

Quote by The red Strat.
starting on a classical will improve your playing waaaaayyy more than an electric and later you couls still play electric and it'd be easier with the classical skill you already have then.
But If I never wanna play classic music and so on. My friend says the same thing though he never played an electric guitar. But some other guys says - Play what you like, you like metal, get an electric guitar, play for 1 year and you will be pretty good at it. Insted of wasting time on an acoustic guitar.
Last edited by Blomman at Aug 31, 2007,
The first guitar I got was a washburn idol series starter pack. It's right in your price range, and it played very very well, and was made of good body material, giving it lots of sustain. I'd recommend starting electric if you like rock/metal, otherwise you'll get bored.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Blomman
Swedish kronor, In dollar this Is around 230 $. I know that the amplifier Is't the best but i live in a apartment home and my mum Is very worried about the sound but If It's to much i just plugg in a pair of headphones.

But If I never wanna play classic music and so on. My friend says the same thing though he never played an electric guitar. But some other guys says - Play what you like, you like metal, get an electric guitar, play for 1 year and you will be pretty good at it. Insted of wasting time on an acoustic guitar.
Yeah Anyway thanks for the help and comments and thoughts I will write in the thread tomorrow about my first time playing on a Electric guitar at my friend
Buy the guitar you want to play. Being motivated to play is more important than buying something that makes you play better in the long run. Most people who really like playing guitar will end up getting both anyway down the line.
One thing I've noticed that's worth mentioning.

Less than 50% (and we're being generous here) of people who buy a guitar will stick with it.

Now of all the people who do end up quitting, I'd say that 80% of them are playing electric guitars, and the other 20% acoustic.

In my opinion the reason being is that acoustic guitars just sound good. Even the cheap ****ty ones sound pretty decent, no matter how poorly you're playing on them.

It's difficult to get a good sound out of an electric guitar. It's hugely difficult to get a good sound when you're new to playing, and are using poor equipment. It sounds like garbage, and can be very discouraging.

This actually happened to me, I started out on electric, and became so frustrated I ended up quitting, until years later when I picked up an acoustic and tried again.

Now it's a two sided coin being that you're a metal/rock fan. No matter which guitar you start on, it'll still take you some time before you're playing anything metal or rock sounding. There are plenty of acoustic rock songs, to learn, and a lot of acoustic interludes in a great many metal songs.

My opinion on the matter should be pretty obvious, but in the end it comes down to you. Even though I suggest starting on an acoustic, if the idea of playing one does nothing for you, or you can't envision sticking with it until you're ready to electric, then don't get one.
@ icronic Thanks for the info. But i won't change my mind :p Anyway i know that it will sound like **** whit my guitar in the begining but if i start of whit an acoustic i will think this is lame, i don't wanna play this kind of songs! I rather just learn Smoke on the water and play it for like a moth and when i'm really good at it i advance up. But i wait untill tomorrow, cause then i will play some guitar at my friend, as i said now for like ten times >_<
Its fine to start out on electric. It may not be such a great idea to try to learn a song until you learn the basics (chords, names of strings, how to use a pick, how to finger pick, etc.) Go ahead and learn Smoke on the Water if it encourages you to play, but then concentrate on the basics. You have to toughen those fingers and hands up or you won't be able to play half a song. Blisters and chords come first.
Ok, so too learn chords is the most importent things ? As a beginner O-o Do anyone have any hand excercieses to get more flexible or so. I have pretty shorts fingers... I try to watch some youtube videos and i think i am getting some of how to read a chord text ... =/ Is this a good way to hold your pick ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GAFLZsHmKs
I would suggest getting some basic books. Mel Bay is really good. There are some online free lessons but be careful and verify that they are solid. For your new guitar I suggest trying some out because of your stated short fingers. If you are very young this may change. If you are older than 13 or 14 then you will only get stronger. An older player with short fingers may prefer a thicker neck because of hand power or a thinner neck for easier playing. Take someone who has been playing more than a few years with you when you purchase. If you are buying a budget guitar (which I suggest) stay away from tremelos (whammy bars) and starter paks. If you can buy guitar and amp separately, you will get better stuff that way. A good beginner instructional DVD, some picks (medium to start out), an electronic tuner (you have to stay in tune to learn properly) and a guitar cord are needed. Also a strap. Practice sitting down at first, then after you have learned a few chords both sitting and standing.
Ok, well I'm 15 this winter. And very strong :P Anyway this package that i will buy contain a dvd for learing and so one. And everything you mention.

And an other question, can you learn chords whitout taking courses? Like on this site ? And does this kind a dvd:s you get learn you some ?
So now after I've vist my friend and learn the Smoke on the water (easy way) Only whit one string, did't get two very well. But it will come and i also learned the pacman sound ^^ and a kind of cool metal sound which sounds ****ing killer and is to easy to be true :P Anyway i sure as hell gonna get a electric guitar but i have to wait untill i get my salery the 25:th Sep, maybe i have to bother mum to get my money a bit eriler :P Anyway playing guitar is killer and i gonna get one very soon