he currently plays an ESP ex50 with a boss MT2 and some peavey combo (solid state). He wants a guitar for metal and the budget is about £800. I suggested a schecter, preferbaly hardtail.

What do you guys think?
Put some money into a new amp at least, surely he cant be happy with the sound he's getting from his MT-2......my say goes to a new amp over a new guitar. Although you could go halves and completely rework his rig for that kinda money...
I'd go for a Randall RG50TC and an Ibanez of some sort, maybe S470? Seeing as Schecters are ridiculously overpriced over here...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Wow 800 eh? Some sort of LTD??

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

if you're are saying schecter....take a look at the hellraiser.
A new amp would probably be helpful...
Schecters aren't bad but the necks are quite thick and feel slow. But of course its a matter of preference so testing the guitar somewhere is a must.
Schecter is a bad decision in the UK. Horribly overpriced due to the way that prices are set here. A $500 guitar will be priced at £500 typically which we all know is about $1000. Otherwise known as we get ripped off bigstyle.

MrCarrot is on the right track though. Randal RG50tc is all tube and only £300 new leaving £500 odd for a nice axe. My suggestion on guitars is to find a local shop and try some stuff out. Then order what he likes online for cheap and get a pro setup with the savings.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso